View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:01 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
Knapp, maybe download some HD clips and play them thru your KM box. See what you get or can expect with a HD card recording OTA.

I may be a tad confused here. Does the HDHomerun do lossless recording? I think that KM plays back downloaded 720p movie trailers from Apple beautifully.

With an analog signal it has to be converted to digital for storage... but it would make sense that if it's broadcast in digital (HD) that it can be stored to the hard drive losslessly. Is this how it works with the HDHomeRun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 pm 
As for lossless, I'm going to say yes. Any HD card just dumps the digital stream onto your HDD (as I understand it). The HDHR is easy to setup and use, but other cards and even USB 'tuners' work well. If you can get OTA signal, your digi or HD card will copy it and KM can play it.

Frankly I record SD cable to supplement my OTA HD, but the SD looks like poo on my HDTV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:36 pm 
knappster wrote:
I ended up picking up the Dynex HDTV on Friday, and a good thing because it's back up to the same price as the Vizio.

I was able to get it to work with component fairly easily with both 720p and 1080i, but for some reason it does not want to cooperate with 1080p... It's not the TV, though, because a friend of mine brought over his PS3 and we were able to get 1080p through hdmi with no problem.

Anyway... I have played with the settings for my standard def recordings to get the 16:9 ratio and a higher bitrate than before, but moreso now than with my previous TV I notice that (even though it's just analog SD), the quality is quite a bit better on the TV's tuner than through my KM box. Is this the case for everyone? Will this be the case for HD recordings with an HDHomerun? I appreciate your feedback.

You cant run 1080p over component. Only HDMI or DVI (digital signal not analog). There is a few reasons for this but I don't know how much detail you really want...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:38 am 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
As for lossless, I'm going to say yes. Any HD card just dumps the digital stream onto your HDD (as I understand it). The HDHR is easy to setup and use, but other cards and even USB 'tuners' work well. If you can get OTA signal, your digi or HD card will copy it and KM can play it.

Frankly I record SD cable to supplement my OTA HD, but the SD looks like poo on my HDTV.

Thanks for the info. I can get OTA and QAM, but when I play QAM on the TV it has some frequent blips like the signal is fluctuating even though it says the signal is good. Comcast cable... I'll be interested to see if that is a problem with the HDHomerun as well.

I plan to do the same with SD, I was just hoping that I could the recorded SD on par with what my TV tuner displays (which still looks like poo, but slightly fresher :lol: )

shrabok wrote:
You cant run 1080p over component. Only HDMI or DVI (digital signal not analog). There is a few reasons for this but I don't know how much detail you really want...

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to spring for the DVI->HDMI converter then. I was able to find some info on google about it. Thanks for keeping it brief :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 am 
shrabok wrote:
You cant run 1080p over component.
A common misconception, but not entirely true. See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675595
My Sony TV kdl46z4100 accepts 1080p over component inputs. The problem is that blue ray players and the like, aren't licensed to output 1080p over component with protected source material. There are players that will output 1080p over component as long as you aren't playing a protected disk. The higher end Oppo is one of them.

With a myth box that isn't controlled by licensing issues you can output 1080p over component if you video card can do it, (and if your tv can accept it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 am 
You had to pull me in didn't you.... hahaha
The issue is most Component connections work at 1080p usually have to be around 1m or less. Which makes it quite difficult for most layouts. Some devices support it and some do not. The other fact is HDMI is much cheaper then component for device manufacturing and for the user when purchasing cables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:50 am 
shrabok wrote:
The other fact is HDMI is much cheaper then component for device manufacturing and for the user when purchasing cables.

Except my local Sam's had component cables for $13 but no DVI->HDMI cables... And I'm not going to pay $50 or whatever Best Buy wants :P I'll probably check monoprice.com and see what they've got (It would be nice to have a smaller cable anwyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:16 pm 
If your TV has VGA inputs you might be able to run 1080p via that. I have my Xbox 360 connected to my TV through its VGA input and I'm able to run at 1080p.

Also remember that DVI to HDMI just requires a cable, not any kind of converter, as long as you don't need or want to "inject" audio into the signal. Monoprice should hook you up for a very good price.

If you want to merge your computers video and audio signal and run a single HDMI cable, that does require a converter. I got one from Monoprice and sent it back... it would make the TV set "forget" the resolution that my computer was running at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm 
shrabok wrote:
Except my local Sam's had component cables for $13 but no DVI->HDMI cables... And I'm not going to pay $50 or whatever Best Buy wants

But the Higher end cables have much better SNR ratings that result in noticeably cleaner pictures, warmer skin tones, deeper blacks, and fewer artifacts. (I can't say that out loud with a straight face, but I can type it.) :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, thank goodness this forum isn't trolled by pretentious lusers who like to brag about how insanely much their cables cost.

Joking aside I have seen some cables do have a bit better construction on the connectors. If you pull them out and rearrange your cabling a lot then a good, solid connector is worth a few extra bucks, because your picture quality WILL degrade noticeably if the connector falls out of the jack. The trick is to find a cable with nice connectors that isn't marked-up 250%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 pm 
jmckeown2 wrote:
...your picture quality WILL degrade noticeably if the connector falls out of the jack.

Now THAT'S funny! Thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:00 pm 
Hi everyone,
i've been enjoying KnoppMyth on some new hardware the last couple of months.
the pertinent components of my setup are a Nvida 7200GS and the TV, a Samsung LN52A650(52", 1080p, 120Hz[aka anti-judder ], QAM tuner).
This TV has an HDMI port(port 2 of 4) that is labeled as DVI/HDMI and has RCA audio assigned to this port. this is the port i'm using to output TV to.

I installed KnoppMyth on the hardware before purchasing this TV. To change from S-video out to DVI(with a DVI->HDMI adaptor) I simply shutdown, setup the new TV, plugged in cables and output started working on the DVI output.

The last step is run `nvidia-settings` to change screen resolution and refresh to 1920x1080@60Hz. both of these settings were default options to available for selection, no tinkering required. :)
Restarted `mythfrontend` and waited a several seconds for the images to re-scale and then I was all set!

The one issue I do still have is related to audio. I'm not sure if its the TV's DVI/HDMI port with RCA audio, or the on-board sound. i'll work on that outside this post though.

Good luck on deciding on your HDTV. if you have the cash, Amazon.com is where I purchased my TV from and has dropped $150 since I bought it a month ago! It's about $1800 shipped now. a great deal for a 52" TV. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:16 pm 
I have been watching this thread from early December since I knew I was buying myself a Christmas present (or actually buying a present for my my to give to me for Christmas) - a Panasonic 1080p 120mhz and new DVI/HDMI cables. Anyway, some quick info - Ebay for the cables (for example http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories). I have bought several and the Monster 600 works very well.

As for the 120mhz - the difference is noticeable but not phenomenal. I watch a lot of sports and there is a difference. As for the 1080p vs. 720p - I have found very few sources (Blu-ray, of course) and, even so, the difference is noticeable but not phenomenal. The great news is that prices are dropping fast - in one week the street price for the top end Panasonic that I bought has dropped almost 20% (check Amazon and 6AVE)... The cost is now less than 15% more than the Vizio 120mhz at Costco and the difference between the two is phenomenal...

Anyway, I wish everyone a great New Years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:57 pm 
A 120 hz set will produce 120 hz from it's own electronics, but what happens with an input signal 50 to 70 hz from a mythbox computer ? displayed at the input rate ? Converted to 120 hz ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:55 pm 
snaproll wrote:
A 120 hz set will produce 120 hz from it's own electronics, but what happens with an input signal 50 to 70 hz from a mythbox computer ? displayed at the input rate ? Converted to 120 hz ?
The 120 Hz sets have settings that you can adjust that affect how the TV converts input signals to 120 Hz. Sony calls theirs "motion enhancement" and "Cinemotion".

With "motion enhancement" on, the TV creates interpolated frames and inserts one between each actual frame of 60 hz source material (standard ntsc), there by smoothing out the motion. Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it adds artifacts.

When "Cinemotion" is on, the TV tries to identify sources that were originally created from film that was shot at 24 frames per second but altered to fit into an ntsc 60 fps signal (this alteration can give jerky motion at 60 hz because 60 is not evenly divisible by 24). It tries to undo the alteration and get the original 24 fps back and display it to you that way. 120hz being evenly divisible by 24, a 120 hz TV can show you the same film frame 5 times in a row and the next film frame 5 times in a row, giving you back the the film's original 24 fps style motion (called 5-5 pulldown). Which, in theory, gives smoother motion than the 24 altered to 60 picture, because 60 is not evenly divisible by 24.

With cinemotion and motion enhancement on at the same time you get interpolated frames in between the original film frames, so instead of 5 identical frames being repeated for each film frame, you get computer generated intermediate frames, to help smooth things out even further. With all the settings on high, this can lead to a weird effect usually called the "soap opera effect" in the forums. Sometimes it can be a rather surreal, many people don't like it.

The technology isn't really perfected yet, in my opinion. I think any settings above low, causes too many artifacts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:38 pm 
knappster wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:

Thanks for the info. I can get OTA and QAM, but when I play QAM on the TV it has some frequent blips like the signal is fluctuating even though it says the signal is good. Comcast cable... I'll be interested to see if that is a problem with the HDHomerun as well.

I plan to do the same with SD, I was just hoping that I could the recorded SD on par with what my TV tuner displays (which still looks like poo, but slightly fresher :lol: )

shrabok wrote:

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to spring for the DVI->HDMI converter then. I was able to find some info on google about it. Thanks for keeping it brief :)

I've had the DVI->HDMI hooked up for a while now and I have been meaning to ask:
When I had the component cables the TV would display 1080i or 720p, etc. Now with the DVI->HDMI cable I have had to setup the video card to actually output the 1920x1080 resolution rather than the 1080p setting.

Now the TV shows the input as DVI 1920x1080 60 Hz instead of 1080p. Is there a difference? I don't even have any 1080p content, I would just like to know that it will work when/if I do.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next