View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:39 pm 
I hope this is an acceptable post for this section. I'm planning to build a FE system that will output to an HDTV (first one in our house). I haven't purchased a TV since... 1997 :) Anyway, I've been pretty happy with my Samsung LCD monitor (T220) and have read good things about their HDTV (LCD) lines as well.

So, anyone out there using a Sammy LCD/HDTV? I'm looking at small ones right now for a small room and am considering either a 22" or 26" but I would welcome feedback from happy or unhappy owners of any size. Just please let me know which model you're recommending or not recommending. Also, if you can recommend another brand, I would love to hear about it.

I'm currently considering the LN22A450 (22") or the LN26A450 (26").

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:12 pm 
I have an 22" Samsung TV in the kitchen. I have been very pleased with it. It's max resolution is 720p but the color and pictures are very good. Has lots of options for hooking up a pc to it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:03 pm 
We've had a Samsung LN-S2641D (26") on the bedroom wall for 3 years now. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it, lots of picture adjustments, OK sound, good picture quality although I prefer the PQ from plasma or DLP. Been very happy with Samsung so far.

We like the bedroom TV so much that when our Sony 51" RPTV died just before Christmas we bought the Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP to replace it (a bit larger than you are after :wink: and not the same technology, but the quality is terrific). Also recently purchased the Panasonic 42" TH-42PX80U plasma for the family room.

Comparing the 3 I would say the Panasonic has the best PQ, but I don't believe they make a plasma smaller than 42", and at 26" or less the things you would notice on a larger set (color banding, gradient, etc.) will be practically non-existent. The biggest annoyance for me on the LCDs is the SSE, or Silk-screen-effect, caused by the anti-glare finish on the screen. I see this more on the 26" bedroom TV than I do on the DLP (and don't notice it at all on the Panasonic plasma).

Personally, I would recommend buying the largest TV that fits your budget and application - I seem to want the larger unit once I get the new one in place. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:58 pm 
Cool, thanks for the replies. Have either of you connected a KM box to an HDTV via the DSUB connection? If so, how is it quality-wise? Am I better off buying a video board (DVI) and using a DVI-->HDMI converter or doesn't it matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 pm 
I 'll second that I have a Samsung LN-S2641D in my bedroom, attached to my SBE using a VGA cable. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with the onboard GeForce 6100.

I did try to use a hdmi cable on it, but the resolution would only go to 1280x720, and the screen does 1360x768 native. The nvidia driver syncs right up to it.

Just pay attention to the native screen resolution. You should be able to get a similar panel for much less that the $1,000 I spent on mine in 2007. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 pm 
OK, cool. It sounds like I can omit the Geforce PCI card and just use the onboard GMA-950 which uses a DSUB cable which is what you appear to be using. (Planning to build an Intel-Atom-based system similar to cesman's Atomic Ant).