View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 am 
I'm looking at getting a Samsung PN50A450 50" 720p plasma as they clearance them out around $800 to use as my primary MythTV TV. Just wanted to check to see if anyone has any suggestions or reasons not to buy this for Myth? I thought I remember reading 1080p is recommended if hooked to a computer, but I'm thinking that may have been suggested if you want to use it for other than TV--like a desktop where screen resolution is very important. Thoughts? I just don't want to make a mistake in this. Thanks.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 am 
According to this chart:
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _chart.pdf
as long as you sit 10 feet or more a way from a 50 inch 720p set you will have all the resolution your eye can handle.

Closer than 10 feet, you will start to be able to resolve individual pixels and would gain some benefit from 1080p. At approx 6 feet away would be optimum for 1080p.

Bottom line is if you sit farther than 10 feet away from a 50 inch set, you will not be able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p. As you get closer than 10 feet, you would increasingly start to notice that 1080p looked higher res, but 720p still looks darn good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am 
I've got a Samsung 720P plasma in hooked up to my mythtv box -- it's a great TV and image quality is excellent.

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:42 am 
I had a 50" 720p DLP hooked up to MythTV for years, and enjoyed it very much. I recently switched to a 46" 1080p LCD, and I have to admit the experience is a little nicer.

It all depends on your seating distance, like jzigmyth said. If you're sitting relatively close, consider a smaller 1080p set like this 40" one for $800, shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001418W2C/