View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R5.5 on ASUS P5N7A-VM
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 pm 
Setting up a new system with this motherboard - has nVidia 9300 on the board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131348

a) After the initial reboot, hit the dreaded "C7 Respawning too fast". Fix for me was

-bring up the networking by hand
-"install-nvidia-debian.sh 177.80"
-"startx" -> success!!

b) While i could boot from the SATA dvd drive, it didn't show up in /dev under linux. Fix was to switch the SATA mode on the motherboard to AHCI.

c) When KM tried to download the 5.5 patches, it seemed to resolve the host correctly, but the download never seemed to proceed past 0%. I just killed the startup process, and restarted without the network cable connected so it aborted the download and finished the setup.

Hope somebody finds this useful.
-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:21 am 
Definitely try re-getting the patches, there are a bunch of good updates in there. As root run:
Code:
~/patcher.sh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:23 am 
jayb282 wrote:
Hope somebody finds this useful.

It was for me! I had zeroed in on the same set of HW and then checked in this forum for experience and found yours.

I bought the board and put it in an Antec Fusion Black which has the nice side benefit of having an IR receiver to power on the system.

I note there is no "Wake on USB" though. I plan to build a couple more of these and those systems will be in a standard Antec Sonata III case so I will need to power on from an external USB IR receiver.

Have you had success powering on via USB or have you found another way?

C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 pm 
jayb282 wrote:

Isn't the current driver 180.29?

Why are you using 177.80?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 am 
christ wrote:
jayb282 wrote:

Because it works. I'm not running VDPAU, so there's no reason to go to the bleeding edge, latest nVidia drivers. Thats always been a recipe for trouble in the past.

I'll go to more recent drivers when R6 is released in a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm 
Hey jayb282,

Wow! This looks like a great board. Thanks for sharing your configuration. I'm planning on building a knew mythbox to go along with first HDTV (been running knoppmyth for SD for a few years). I am curious if you ever got around to upgrading to R6. Also, do use the SPDIF?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm 
I tried the S/PDIF and gave up because I had an existing card that would work and the existing drivers weren't working with this board.

I expect the latest ALSA drivers will be just fine based on the searches I did.

I'm getting another one of these boards this weekend and will attempt to get the HDMI audio going. I'll publish the recipe when I get it runnng.

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 pm 
mark60050 wrote:
Hey jayb282,
I am curious if you ever got around to upgrading to R6. Also, do use the SPDIF?

Still waiting for the 'official' R6 release. :) Unless I missed it (no announcement on the main page?), we're still at a mostly complete pre-release.

Haven't tried the SPDIF yet - that will wait until the upgrade but want to get it working. If somebody else goes down that road, please post the details!

Currently I'm using a external USB audio device since i've had too many quality problems using the onboard output on many MB's.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am 
christ wrote:
I'm getting another one of these boards this weekend and will attempt to get the HDMI audio going. I'll publish the recipe when I get it runnng.

Just finished the set up of another one of these boards for the bedroom connected to a 42" Panasonic 1080p plasma.

I successfully enabled HDMI audio. It will require you to update to alsa 1.0.19 as a minimum. I grabbed the latest from unstable, recompiled from source including the kernel modules.

Cecil shows you how in this link: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16840

You then need to adjust the audio set up pages in myth to use hdmi instead of spdif and also modify /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf to use the ao option for hdmi:
Code:
ao=alsa:device=hdmi

HINT: if after you update the alsa drivers to 1.0.19 and you don't see an HDMI device using the command "aplay -L" then you may have to update your BIOS. I am at BIOS 0407 and all is well but I have seen other postings of people needing to update their BIOS to this version.

In order for MythMusic to play, you will need a custom /etc/asound.conf to intercept and mix. The content should be:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
rate 48000
}
}

In Music Settings -> General set the Audio device to "ALSA:default".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:29 pm 
christ wrote:
jayb282 wrote:

Update. I had to reinstall R5.5 (after a failed attempt at R6) so i decided to go more recent on the graphics drivers.

Tested 180.29 & 180.44

Plenty of problems. My system has two IDE hard drives. Recording TV and playing back from drive A (IDE master)- no problems.

Trying to play back MythVideo files from drive B (IDE slave)..... stuttering. Also, if playing a file from drive B while attempting to record live TV (DVB-T) the signal is degraded..... I'm guessing the bus is busy and the recording is starving for bandwidth.

Did all the checks i could..... UseEvents, DMA, audio buffering, etc etc. Spent a couple of days on it. No luck. Could not resolve the problems.

Went back to 177.80 --- all problems went away. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm 
Interesting. I have been on 180.29 since I installed the first board and I have had no issues. I have it running on the 2nd board too.

All of the source material though goes through samba mounts to a backend server. I only use local disk for the OS. One system has an IDE drive (re-used) and the other is SATA.

If you are running IDE then perhaps there is an interaction with the IDE device (which is JMicron). JMicron support in linux has always been funky in my experience.

However, given your tests perhaps it is not all JMicron's fault, it may just be the way it is attached to the bus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:26 am 
After spending another half a day tearing it down and back up, discovered the DMA settings for the second drive got lost. So everything appears to be working fine with 180.44 now.

I swear...... I hate linux soooo much sometimes............ :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 pm 
jayb282 wrote:
I swear...... I hate linux soooo much sometimes............ :cry:

Indeed a love/hate thing for me too. However, your work will no doubt help someone else in need.

I'll probably move forward to 180.44 as I think that is the GA load now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:18 pm 
I tried to do a clean install on the P5N7A-VM. I have the opposite storage configuration, compared to you. I'm running a 160g Seagate SATA disk and an PATA DVD.
Installation runs OK from the CD but the first boot hangs, first at "starting portmap daemon". I can do a "ctrl-c" there and it continues. Then it hangs again at starting MySQL daemon. And from there, its pretty stuck.

Is this related to my MB or a general problem?

kind regards
håkan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 pm 
haan wrote:
Is this related to my MB or a general problem?

I don't think it is exactly.

I have two set ups with this board. One is with a PATA DVD + SATA HDD; the other is a SATA DVD + PATA HDD.

The SATA DVD did need to have the BIOS configured for AHCI. All other devices seemed to work fine.

My first thought is to try the configs at the BIOS to set the SATA device to one of the other modes (eg. AHCI) and see if it improves. If not then you could try a different SATA device.

I assume you have also checked the integrity of the CD as well.

Go to page 1, 2  Next