View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm 
I URGENTLY need new hardware.
In.Di FTA transmissions on the cable (which Telenet took over a while ago) stopped today, which left me with 2 of the 15 FTA channels I use daily.
I have the Satellite Dish lying around here, have a HDTV capable Quad-receiver LNB, and the cable, but am in URGENT need of advice, which HDTV DVB-S2 cards to look for, and where to buy them.

I currently use DVB-C cards from Satelco, bought at dvbshop.net in Germany, and they also have (quite expensive) DVB-S2 cards...

Any alternatives, any things to look for, things to definitely NOT buy, ...?

Please advice, I really need to get the cards as soon as possible..., preferably in the Western-European region (Belgium, France, Netherlands, UK, Germany, or nearby)

Thanks for all the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:30 am 
Do you have a satellite subscription that you want to use? If so what encryption? What CAM do you want to use? SoftCAM perhaps?

For hardware support http://linuxtv.org is a very good source. For satellite TV on HTPC platforms there are many Satellite oriented fora which have HTPC sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 am 
A few suggestions:
    Don't worry about DVB-S2. It isn't required for HD and almost no one is broadcasting it yet. Get a cheap DVB-S1 card that you *know* works on linux. You can pick them up for <20 euro new on ebay. When you need S2, the S2 cards will be cheaper and better supported.
    If you are planning on Astra FTA, the HD selection at the moment is pretty poor. There are only two demo channels broadcasting at the moment. I expect this will change in the next year.
    Astra (and probably most other european sources) are using H.264 for HD. The decoding requirements of H.264 will bring almost any machine to its knees when playing. I have to transcode to mpeg2 HD to be able to play a recording. I also had to download the latest ffmpeg to transcode successfully.

References you might want to check out:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... highlight=