View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 am 
Hi,

I was preparing for an upgrade to R6.02 and realized that my backups for my frontend are messed up. The frontend-only and frontend/backend are dumping their backups into the same directory without any way to distinguished the two. I think the problem has to do with my mounting strategy for sharing videos between the frontend and backend.

Currently, I export the entire /myth directory on the master backend and then mount the backend:/myth directory on the local /myth partition of my frontend only. That way the directory structure looks identical on the frontend-only and backend. I've been using this strategy since I first installed R6. Prior to R6, I only one machine running both the frontend and backend.

My problem is of course that both frontend-only and the backend backup to the same /myth/backup directory.

Perhaps I should only have two machines share only the /myth/video directories and not any other directories?

I looked at the howto on the wiki

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... nlyInstall

Besides being a little dated, it does not speak to the issue of video directories?

What do other people do? Does anyone have a configuration they are happy with? I think I might need to make this change before I upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 pm 
Site Admin
There isn't a need to do a backup on a frontend. Just backup your backend. Frontend installs on R6 are way easier than it has been in the past. It is an option on install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 pm 
cecil wrote:
There isn't a need to do a backup on a frontend. Just backup your backend. Frontend installs on R6 are way easier than it has been in the past. It is an option on install.

Well, I just wanted to backup the configuration files. A few examples include, the lircrc /etc/lircd files which I customized somewhat; the asound.conf file for some specific audio settings, the /etc/fstab file that mounts the nfs myth partitions. I can't remember if there is anything else I had tweaked... I really like the way the backend gets restored and most things just work. I was hoping I could do the same for the frontend... Not a show stopper.