View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6 PVR350 TV out support
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:43 pm 
All,

This may have come up before but I just went to upgrade R5.5 to R6 and saw at the installation screen that R6 does not support TV-out from the PVR-350. Anyone have any insight on when this may be coming?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
The MythTV devs plan on dropping support for the 350's TV out. Before I do the work on R6, I have to test to ensure it still works. At the moment, I'm told by a MythTV dev that "it may work"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 pm 
Maybe I should try it for you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:19 pm 
I did some Googling a few weeks back and the best I could come up with was this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/users/39709

Haven't tried R6 yet, so not sure if this will help or not.

-Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm 
EDIT: I'm on R6.01 (and I love it - even with the new quirks. :) ) so I realize this is slightly wrong topic list. Cecil, Move if you feel appropriate

Speaking of the PVR-350, at this point with nVidia's drivers working fine for me, is there any use for the PVR-350 besides capturing?

In particular, is the encoder/decoder usable for anything not involving the TVout port?

In MythTV Setup -> Setup -> Playback -> PVR-350 Hardware Decoder Settings (9/9) one can "Use the PVR-350's TV out/MPEG Decoder"

So I'm assuming this flips on the TVout port. It's not like the PVR-350's decoder can sit around as a resource to do something else other than Data IN -> Decoder -> PVR-350 TVout.

Which makes me wonder because in that same menu set:
MythTV Setup -> Setup -> Playback -> Profiles (3/9)

I set up a new profile for my projector which is limited to 800x600. It's also on the TVout of the installed nVidia 5200FX.

I currently have a single rez > 0 0 using XvMC. The Wiki page for XvMC says that nVidia doesn't fully support this. Additionally, within that one entry, Video-Renderer can be set for xvmc-opengl which the notes say frees up XvMC buffers but needs a reasonably fast video card. What is consider that card? Is a 5200FX one such card?

AND in that same screen, the Decoder can be "PVR-350 decoder". That revisits the questions of the PVR350 being a resource even though I'm not using the TVout.

I could use some enlightenment on all this.

Currently my system consists of:

Abit AS8-V motherboard w/Pentium4-HT 3.06GHz w/1GB RAM
PVR-350 (currently unplugged but planned for Analog NTSC Cable)
pcHDTV3000 (for US ATSC bcast)

I could use some enlightenment here.

Thanks(!),

-Ben

p.s. the CPU is an HT processor that I've read is best to disable HT support. I just tried HT enabled and it seems to work (unlike previous releases of MythTV) - am I still best to leave it off or is it worth while enabling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 pm 
decoder is only for tv-out

as a *bump* for this thread, though, I'm still hoping someone figures out 350 tv-out in R6 before I have to tackle it ;-) (please!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 pm 
Hi there,

Yes, I was reading around and determined that.

It was also being discussed on the mythtv-users list.

As it turns out, there is an X11 driver for the 350's TVout. That's why Myth no longer need to support it explicitly. It's now supported as a device in /etc/X11/xorg.conf through a standard video driver.

I looked it up -- and it's a perfectly logical alternative solution that leaves no on in the dark.

Check it out:

http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page

Note on the page:

Code:
News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-11-15

xf86-video-ivtv X11 video driver version 1.1.1 released (ChangeLog). It allows you to use the framebuffer of the PVR-350 as an X11 display. This release fixes compilation issues with the lastest Xorg release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 am 
Thanks, bkamen! I'll give that a try.

Now I'm off to fix my /myth partition so it shows up as hda3 instead of hda4 in the partition map so I can complete the R6 upgrade.

-Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:08 am 
bkamen wrote:
As it turns out, there is an X11 driver for the 350's TVout. That's why Myth no longer need to support it explicitly. It's now supported as a device in /etc/X11/xorg.conf through a standard video driver.

I looked it up -- and it's a perfectly logical alternative solution that leaves no on in the dark.

Check it out:

http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page

Note on the page:

Code:
News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-11-15

xf86-video-ivtv X11 video driver version 1.1.1 released (ChangeLog). It allows you to use the framebuffer of the PVR-350 as an X11 display. This release fixes compilation issues with the lastest Xorg release.

It is my guess that this FB X11 device would be way too slow for TV. Anyone else have experience one way or the other? Please? Thank you.

One of the systems I maintain has a PVR-350 in it (R5.5, NTSC in from sat box, NTSC out to a TV), and I am delaying going to R6 till I learn more about:
- PVR-350 support
- R6 UI changes
- Arch Linux workings (I am an Ubuntu / Debian man currently).

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 am 
cliffsjunk wrote:
It is my guess that this FB X11 device would be way too slow for TV. Anyone else have experience one way or the other? Please? Thank you.

One of the systems I maintain has a PVR-350 in it (R5.5, NTSC in from sat box, NTSC out to a TV), and I am delaying going to R6 till I learn more about:
- PVR-350 support
- R6 UI changes
- Arch Linux workings (I am an Ubuntu / Debian man currently).

Well, I'm not sure how exactly I'm using it now (without digging a little bit) other than through X11 and using nVidia's driver.

I'm running in cloned "TwinView" mode where an LCD and TVout run concurrently. The LCD is set for 1024x768 and the SVIDEO out of the tvout is scaled automatically.

Would that work for you?

-Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 pm 
bkamen, it sounds like you are doing tv-out with an Nvidia card, correct? and not the PVR-350?

I recently gave up on the PVR-350 and replaced it with an HVR-1600 and a GeForce 8400s video card, along with upgrading to 6.02. Since my mythbox is now connected to an HDTV, it wasn't worth it to pursue the PVR-350.

cliffsjunk, I picked up the PCI Geforce on Amazon for $39 after rebate. If you've got a spare slot, it might be worth to just go that route.

-Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 pm 
joejoethedogfaceboy wrote:
bkamen, it sounds like you are doing tv-out with an Nvidia card, correct? and not the PVR-350?

I recently gave up on the PVR-350 and replaced it with an HVR-1600 and a GeForce 8400s video card, along with upgrading to 6.02. Since my mythbox is now connected to an HDTV, it wasn't worth it to pursue the PVR-350.

cliffsjunk, I picked up the PCI Geforce on Amazon for $39 after rebate. If you've got a spare slot, it might be worth to just go that route.

-Joe

oops... you're right. My bad.

Sorry.

I did look into this though as I have a PVR-350. I didn't try it so I can't say for sure the performance is less.

A test case would definitely be a good plan.

-Ben