View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: New user dilemma
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 pm 
Hello to everyone on the forum. I am new to LinHES but have been a Myth user for several years. I am currently running Ubuntu 9.04 and Mythtv .22 and have decided to move to LinHES 6.03. I am looking for advice on a migration plan (for example, should I (can I) install LinHES 6.02 and restore the DB from Myth .22 then upgrade to 6.03?).

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:04 am 
There are enough differences between ubuntu and LinHES that if you restore an ubuntu DB into LinHES you will end up spending a lot of time fixing things. Besides some of the obvious things such as video/tv/music/etc. directories, there are configuration optimizations that LinHES does on initial install that may be lost.

Because of that, I would recommend starting fresh. Videos can be rescanned, but recordings will be difficult to recover. There is a post on restoring only recordings here:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17867

However, note that it will only work if the video location is the same on ubuntu as it is on LinHES. Either you will have to change the location in LinHES (not too hard) before restoring or you will have to edit the sql before restoring it (more difficult).

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:16 pm 
Thanks for the quick reply (another reason I am moving here...). Can I go straight to 6.03 and import those few tables or should I go to 6.02, import and then upgrade to 6.03?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 am 
If you are going to attempt a partial restore of the DB, You want to go to the version that has the same version of myth (.22). I'm pretty sure 6.02 has it (but check the release notes first). Alternatively, you can upgrade your myth to .23 before installing, just as long as you don't change versions when you go to LinHES.

If you are going to start completely fresh, it doesn't matter which one you go to.

A couple of other things if you want to keep any music/videos/recordings/etc:

- They need to be on a separate partition from root. The LinHES install reformats the partition you use for root.

- You will need to do a custom install to ensure that the old files get mounted in the correct place (LinHES assumes /myth is /dev/sda3).

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think you should do a clean install. If you don't, at least backup the root directory with something like clonezilla before you start.

(I know what you mean about the forums....)