View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:37 am 
I have been trying to install R6.01.00 for a while off-and-on, but after the initial hardware detection the screen would flash a bunch on "Install latest nVidia driver". I was able to get a prompt after pressing enter a few times, but if I tried "startx" I got an error about "cannot connect to x server" and/or "no console found".

I just out of pure chance swapped the video card for an ATI card tonight because my main KnoppMyth box took a crap today, and behold the ATI card worked great.

Its probably safe to assume that other have used the 6200 without any problems. The exact part# is 256-A8-N341-LX.

Maybe I can get it working in a diskless frontend with an updated driver. Could be a bug in the version of driver used by the install cd?

Last edited by yaplej on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 am 
Sorry.

Turns out that if I connect any of my PVR-150 26582 cards the thing does weird stuff when entering setup/installing. Maybe the cards are toast I am not sure. I tried the nVidia 6200 with all the Happauge cards removed, and it was able to finally get through installation without any issues.

I had R6 installed with the ATI card, and I tried to put in one of the 26582's to run setup, but once the setup screen started the keyboard would not respond to anything. Not even numlock would change state.

I was able to run setup with a newer PVR-150 26552, and HVR-1600 both installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:44 pm 
Found that the nvidia driver is SMP capable. I had to disable hyperthreading in BIOS to solve all kinds of issues with the nvidia driver. After that things worked great. Found that LinHES has Hyperthreading support removed from the kernel so it seems like that might be the cause of this issue and why ATI or vesa driver worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 am 
yaplej wrote:
Found that LinHES has Hyperthreading support removed from the kernel
Not true. Running uname -a shows that the LinHES kernel does support SMP. I have been running a HT capable P4 for years under KM/LH. If you are running LH on the AMD hardware listed in your sig hyperthreading won't work as none of AMD's processors support hyperthreading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 pm 
This is different hardware than whats in my sig.

Mind checking to see if HT is enabled in your BIOS? Are you using the nvidia driver?

SMP support is not HT support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
So I did some more digging just for fun and in R5F27 it seems Hyperthreading was disabled but its back in R6.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... rthreading

I suppose the problems with certain drivers still exits when Hyperthreading is enabled. That would explain why when I disabled it the nvidia driver started working.

It is enabled in R6 though.
more /usr/src/linux-2.6.28-LinHES/.config | grep SMT
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y