View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: [SOLVED] R6 and initrd
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:59 pm 
I have a SCSI RAID controller (LSI MegaRaid) and had that working fine with R5.5.
But with R.6, after installing, it doesn't boot, presumably because the megaraid modules are not loaded.
How can I get these modules loaded early on? I used to do that in /boot/initrd in 5.5. Can somebody tell me where the equivalent functionality is in R6?

Last edited by JoeF on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:23 am 
I believe you need to look at /etc/rc.conf

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:57 am 
Answering myself, I have found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off ... ure_System

Looks like I need to edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to add the modules and create a new initial ramdisk image with mkinitcpio.

Post subject: R6 uses runit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 pm 
Hi Joe,
JoeF wrote:
Answering myself, I have found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off ... ure_System

I don't want to misguide you, but I am not sure that actually initrd is the way to go. I read once from Cecil Watson that "R6 uses runit" instead. Please refer to this thread : LinHES-system 1.0-74. Should I be right, the Official_LinHES_Install_Guide would differ from the Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide on that point and others likely too.

Post subject: Re: R6 uses runit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:30 pm 
Golffies wrote:
Hi Joe,
JoeF wrote:

I don't want to misguide you, but I am not sure that actually initrd is the way to go. I read once from Cecil Watson that "R6 uses runit" instead. Please refer to this thread : LinHES-system 1.0-74. Should I be right, the Official_LinHES_Install_Guide would differ from the Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide on that point and others likely too.

Well, from a qucik look, it seems runit is a replacement for the init process. But that comes after the stuff I try to do.
in R5.5, initrd is self-contained, and loads some modules. It then uses pivot to replace itself with the real init.
I use initrd in R5.5 to load the modules for my SCSI Raid, which then allows init to read from the disk.
The mkinitcpio in Arch/R6 seems to work the same way: it creates a self-contained image in memory that is then used to start all the rest, like init or runit or what-have-you.
There is a LinHES-specific file in the config directory for mkinitcpio, so I think this will work for LinHES.

The trick is that this image has to be loaded by the boot loader without any knowledge/access to the root filesystem, since that is not accessible until the modules for the raid system are loaded.
That's the second issue I may run into: R5.5 uses lilo, which I know very well. R6 uses grub, which I am not all that firm with...
Anyway, this has to wait for a few weeks, due to other commitments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm 
JoeF wrote:

Looks like I need to edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to add the modules and create a new initial ramdisk image with mkinitcpio.

I am happy to report that this is indeed the correct way to load modules into the initial ramdisk so that the system can boot from my SCSI hardware RAID.
I added the two megaraid modules in the MODULES array, recreated a new initrd image with mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel26.img, and it booted up fine.