View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Picking HD over SD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 am 
After years of running two PVR150 with SD inputs (FIOS), I finally have my HDPVR up and running but now I am a bit confused as to the best way to get the majority of my recordings in HD. I will still have one of the PVR150s running off of a second SD input.

In googling I see that there is a setting to prefer HD and I will do that.

I also see some folks recommending to change all of the HD channel call signs to match the SD channel call signs. Has anyone tried that?

Or should I just change all my rules to be for any channel. I would think that would lead to some very old episodes being recorded for any shows in syndication.

Comments and thoughts please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am 
My first thought is to add priority to the HDPVR input.
mythtv-setup->4. input connections-> last page.
it says "The scheduler may choose to record a show at a later time to use the input with the highest priority." If that's not possible, it should roll back to the PVR150.

Another option is to increase individual channel priorities for those that are in HD. Can be done through mythtv-setup->5.Channel Editor or http://backendip/mythweb/settings/tv/channels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:56 pm 
goofee wrote:
Another option is to increase individual channel priorities for those that are in HD. Can be done through mythtv-setup->5.Channel Editor or http://backendip/mythweb/settings/tv/channels

I use this method and it works reliably. My HD channels are out of scope of what a PVR-150 can see and even on the HD-PVR you actually want to record those HD channels as opposed to anything the hd-pvr can see. As such setting the input priority would not do what OP wants.

If you only do the input priority it will still look for the first available recording on the hd-pvr which will often be SD channels.