View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:51 am 
Hi - My old Dell and GeForce requires vdpau to run mythtv OTA broadcast TV (otherwise stutters and crashes). So I've been running myth-vdpau for a year or so with pretty good performace (but a few minor bugs I live with). But I see that the current myth now has VDPAU folded in, so I no longer need the special mythtv-vdpau. I'm ready to upgrade to current LinHes 6.03.00 (and future LinHes's as they come out).

However, when I run "sudo pacman -Sy linhes-scripts" "sudo upgrade_linhes.sh" it updates my system to latest nvidia-beta and mythtv-vdpau (0.21) packages (I think the same as I had before). When I try "sudo pacman -Sy mythtv" (or first try "sudo pacman -Rd mythtv-vdpau", then install) it gives all kinds of integrity errors, files already exist, etc. Same with trying to remove nvidia-beta and upgrade to nvidia. Trying to upgrade conflicting packages first, or delete files that it didn't like the existence of, ruined my system.

I had to erase and recreate sda1 from a copy of my working original linhes pre-6.01.00 with mythtv-vdpau. Tried twice.

I'm stuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 am 
I could probably guide you thru step by step but that would require doing this in real time. I think the easiest way to for you to run the latest is to backup and auto upgrade using the latest ISO.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:04 pm 
Thank you!!! Okay, hitches. Restored original working <6.01.00 from partition clone, then ran latest live CD as per. It went through an entire process of upgrade (? progress bar through to end) then announced "FAILED" "Updating Systemconfig".

I had chosen update / format ext3. So then I restored the partition and tried again, instead choosing no reformatting. Same.

So, heave ho, tried once more, this time pacman updated the system first in X term, then ran ISO choosing reformat. Still same. Is it easy to find out why live CD might be failing and hop over that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:45 am 
Is there some reason you don't just update using 'sudo pacman -Syu'? Thay will update the whole system to the latest version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 am 
Quote:
Is there some reason you don't just update using 'sudo pacman -Syu'? Thay will update the whole system to the latest version.

Well, I'm happy to try that. A couple of questions first -- is that safe, given that live-CD update failed? And secondly, (how) will that replace mythtv-vdpau port with mythtv? Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:55 pm 
Quote:

Quote:
Well, I'm happy to try that. A couple of questions first -- is that safe, given that live-CD update failed? And secondly, (how) will that replace mythtv-vdpau port with mythtv? Thank you!

And anyway, it didn't work. It asked if I wanted to replace a bunch of things, then...

Quote:
error: cannot resolve "libtirpc", a dependency of "rpcbind"
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: repcbind: requires libtirpc

I could fight through this (with a lot of help) but still have the expressed above concerns.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 pm 
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy linhes-scripts
sudo linhes-upgrade
Should that fail, you can manually remove mythtv-vdpau with
Code:
sudo pacman -Rd mythtv-vdpau
sudo pacman -Sy mythtv

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!