View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:09 pm 
Flash videos on my desktop computer tend to play better on Chrome than on Firefox/Iceweasel so I wanted to run them on my mythbox the same way. I noticed that Google Chrome is not available for arch and chromium was not in the repository, so I went ahead and downloaded it from Arch User Repository and installed it. I thought I'd share my directions for anybody who is looking to do the same thing.

1) Download the files:
Code:
wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-browser-bin/chromium-browser-bin.tar.gz

2) Extract the files:
Code:
tar -xvf chromium-browser-bin.tar.gz

3) Open folder which you just extracted:
Code:
cd chromium-browser-bin

4) Change dependency. I got an error because it couldn't find libpng12, but it is installed as libpng so it just couldn't find it. Open PKGBUILD and find the line which begins "depends=" and change 'libpng12' to 'libpng'

5) Build package:
Code:
makepkg

6) Install package:
Code:
sudo pacman -U chromium-browser-bin-70371-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
(or whatever the file name happens to be on your system).

7) Open chromium:
Code:
chromium-browser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 pm 
knappster wrote:
Flash videos on my desktop computer tend to play better on Chrome than on Firefox/Iceweasel so I wanted to run them on my mythbox the same way.
And did you notice an improvement on the mythbox?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 am 
While I don't have any empirical data to prove it, I felt that flash videos played back smoother. Still not as smooth as recorded TV, but better than firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:05 am 
I'm trying to decide what hardware to buy to have enough horsepower to do flash properly. Can I ask what your motherboard, cpu (plus it's speed) and graphics card is? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 pm 
Sure.
I'm using:
Motherboard: ASUS M2NPV-VM
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor ADH2350IAA5DO - OEM (running at factory speeds)
Video Card: SPARKLE SFPX95GT1024U2H GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 pm 
Have you tried the Hulu Desktop app for Linux http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... light=hulu it works better than firefox but my hardware is still lacking as well. I want an HTML 5 option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:20 pm 
I'm not having any trouble playing streamed flash video back in Firefox (current versions of both) at full screen rez using my old FX5200 video card and Athlon 64 3200+.

Occasional net lag is the main issue I've noticed, although having MythTV trying to run commercial flagging at the same time can produce glitches. Aside from that it just works. No muss, no fuss. The RRD graphs show CPU use peaking under 60%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:10 pm 
tjc wrote:
I'm not having any trouble playing streamed flash video back in Firefox (current versions of both) at full screen rez using my old FX5200 video card and Athlon 64 3200+.

Occasional net lag is the main issue I've noticed, although having MythTV trying to run commercial flagging at the same time can produce glitches. Aside from that it just works. No muss, no fuss. The RRD graphs show CPU use peaking under 60%.

That's interesting... I wonder what my story is then. I just tried a movie on huludesktop this past week to see if it was any better, but the problem which I have remains... for a few minutes it will play back perfectly smooth, then for a lot more minutes it will play at what appears to be a lower framerate. I don't think it's my download rate because it's not pausing to buffer or anything. Just weird that your athlon 64 can handle it at 60% because my X2 is showing 100+% (presumably on one core?) in top when I am playing video. Any ideas? I really didn't notice any improvement when I switched from my onboard Geforce 6150 to the Geforce 9500. BTW, my resolution is 720p.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 pm 
System tuning is so fiddly that it's hard to say. My box was built to have enough horsepower to playback HD video while minimizing cost and heat. That meant a bunch of tuning and eliminating bottlenecks wherever possible. Anything from strategic application of $ on hardware components (good fast dual channel RAM, GigE) and targeted upgrades (more RAM, PATA -> SATA HD), to shutting down all of the unused devices in the BIOS, to turning off things at the system software level (e.g. optical drive monitoring and unused system daemons), to constantly tweaking my X config, ...

The real key is figuring out not just what is happening but why. The old carpenters adage to "measure twice, cut once" applies, but sometimes you just have to experiment to figure out what is really going on. High CPU usage can be a symptom of any number of things from an inherently hard computational problem, to process thrashing, to garbage collection, to silly busy wait and spurious interrupt handling stuff.

I'd start by eliminating things. Shutdown all the services and applications that you can and just run the browser or other client application. Eliminate anything but core hardware too. USB devices are notorious CPU hogs, because they place such a high interrupt load on the system. If you have GigE make sure to enable jumbo frames (bigger frames/fewer interrupts) and check your error rates (BTW this is one reason I always cringe when people want to do wireless for a media server, the faster your network the more errors hurt you). Look at your log files for chatter, if something is spewing messages to multiple log files every second it's wasting CPU and bus bandwidth and possibly causing excess context switching. In addition to top you can use iostat and other monitoring utilities to look for bottlenecks or strange activity.

Hope that at least gives you some ideas of what to look at next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:45 am 
I tried your guide on my FRontend running LinHES 6.04 but stumbled on the makepkg command.

I began downloading and unpacked as root and tried makepkg but got this message:
Code:
[root@nanoitx chromium-browser-bin]# makepkg
==> ERROR: Running makepkg as root is a BAD idea and can cause
    permanent, catastrophic damage to your system. If you
    wish to run as root, please use the --asroot option.
[root@nanoitx chromium-browser-bin]#

i switched to mythtv
Code:
[root@nanoitx chromium-browser-bin]# su mythtv
[mythtv@nanoitx chromium-browser-bin]$ makepkg
==> ERROR: Fakeroot must be installed if using the 'fakeroot' option
    in the BUILDENV array in /etc/makepkg.conf.
[mythtv@nanoitx chromium-browser-bin]$

should i make the package as root(using --asroot option)?
did you do it as root?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am 
I went ahead making and installing the package as root and it seemed to work fine.
but starting(as user mythtv) the browser got me an error message only:

"Illegal instruction"

I'm not supposed to start the browser as root, right?
Any idea what is wrong? is there some way to get more info?
--help only shows:

Code:
[mythtv@nanoitx Chrome]$ chromium-browser --help
chromium-browser [-h|--help] [-g|--debug] [options] [URL]

-g or --debug           Start within /usr/bin/gdb
        -h or --help            This help screen

Other supported options are:
<standard input>:107: warning [p 2, 6.8i]: cannot adjust line
 See 'man chromium-browser' for more details
[mythtv@nanoitx Chrome]$

ive also checked the man page but cant find anything about more output
/Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 pm 
got the error
Code:
/opt/chromium-browser/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium-browser/chrome)
/opt/chromium-browser/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /opt/chromium-browser/chrome)

When I do a locate glibc I get
Code:
/usr/include/php/ext/iconv/php_have_glibc_iconv.h
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h
/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h
/usr/share/aclocal/glibc2.m4
/usr/share/aclocal/glibc21.m4
/usr/share/libtool/libltdl/libltdl/lt__glibc.h
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4/changelog
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4/depends
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4/desc
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4/files
/var/lib/pacman/local/glibc-2.9-4/install
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core/glibc-2.9-4
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core/glibc-2.9-4/depends
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core/glibc-2.9-4/desc
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core-testing/glibc-2.12.1-2
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core-testing/glibc-2.12.1-2/depends
/var/lib/pacman/sync/core-testing/glibc-2.12.1-2/desc

So it looks like I have 2.9 and 2.12 but chromium wants 2.11.

Thoughts?