View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 pm 
Hi,
I just freshly installed 7.4 as a front end with an NVidia 8400GS based card. Everything seems fine except one minor thing, tv playback, or any video, plays back upside down. I've tried different settings in the "display" item in LinHES configuration to no avail. What could cause this? Seems like some sort of sync issue, how to remedy?

Thanks
David J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:40 am 
I did a pacman -S nvidia, seems I already have the latest drivers, in the repository anyway. I see there are later ones from the nvidia web page, is it advisable to try this route (or even downgrading)? I see this article:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do ... g_Packages

Downgrading seems generally frowned upon and could be problematic, but watching tv upside down isn't an alternative either.

I did the nvidia-xconfig command to create a xorg.conf. I don't see anything obviously wrong with it's contents.

Any suggestions much appreciated...this is a strange one

David J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 am 
try running nvidia-settings there might be something in there to help you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm 
I did try the nvidia settings, I did see a check box for "allow flip video" but it didn't help. I did reboot as well. I guess maybe a driver upgrade or downgrade? I found a post elsewhere on this forum of a procedure to downgrade after downloading from nvidia website. a little hesitant to try this yet though. Seems like a possible simple solution somewhere, finding out where is the key if it exists. Judging from my many searches on the web it doesn't seem to be too common, although it has happened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm 
Maybe your cable is in upside down:-)

Seriously, what output are you using? Vga or hdmi?

Can you try the other?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:26 pm 
I am using hdmi, but the card does have dvi and vga outputs also. Ii don't presently have the cables or adaptors, I could possibly hook up my computer monitor to the other output temporarily though to see. I will give this a try.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 pm 
stupid question:
what videos are flipped?
Are they still flipped if you are playing back a video file in mplayer or MythVideo?
It might be the tuner can you see the video files you have recorded on another PC to check.

I"m just grasping at straws.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 pm 
yes upside down in mythvideo, playing back recordings, and the test videos. Is mplayer used in playing back recordings?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 am 
mplayer can be used by MythVideo or it can be run from the command line. (I'm gonna make this stupid easy sorry)
press "alt x" to get a terminal window (if you have a browser on the mythtv computer you can paste(insert) copied text by using "shift insert"
Code:
cd /myth/video
wget http://archive.org/download/test-mpeg/test-mpeg.mpg
mplayer test-mpeg.mpg

that should play a very small very compressed video in a window on the screen. You obviously can play whatever video you want I was just giving you a source video if you didn't already have one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 am 
doing a search on the internet I can't find anyone else with this problem and that is really odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 am 
So lucky enough I had a DVI to hdmi cable in my large collection that I vaguely remembered buying in the past, and hooked that to the card, and poof right side up video, full 1080p glory. So the hdmi output is upside down, not DVI. Hows that for strange. Thanks to the guy who suggested checking that, I probably would not have thought of that before jumping through many potentially painful hoops. I'm in business. Here's the card in question:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M1 ... 02_s00_i00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 am 
that's really odd because HDMI and DVI are electrically the same. Glad you got it fixed.