View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13 am 
I'm following the guide to upgrade from 7 to 8. After making the appropriate backups, I booted from the CD and started the install process. After finishing the interactive part, the installation process starts fine. Sometime during the system config portion, the filling wheel graphic in the center freezes, hard drive activity stops, and the keyboard lights are flashing. I've tried 3 times with the same results.

Looking at my notes, the first disc I burn for Linhes has failed nearly 100% of the time. I had a second disc ready to go and am running install on that now. I'll report back when I get results from the new disc.

In the meantime, if I get another kernel panic during install, is there a way to troubleshoot?

Last edited by DoomedTX on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 pm 
Another possibility could be hardware/driver. What kind of video card / motherboard?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:55 pm 
Thanks, it was the disc. The second one worked fine. Then I realized I typed the IP address incorrectly. No big deal, I'll just fix it with ifconfig. I changed it 3 times, verified it was connecting to the network, but somehow it kept reverting to my original typo. After 45 minutes failing to execute a simple change like changing the IP address, I gave up and decided to start over with the install. Turns out I threw the wrong disc away, and now the good one doesn't work after getting the garbage cleaned off. I've tried and failed 3 times so now need to burn a new disc or three or seven. If I can just get past this point before 8 hours have passed I guess I'll call the initial install a success.

I swear if my life had a soundtrack it would be the Keystone Kops theme music.

I use the DVD drive only once a year or so, which is why I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it or replace it sooner. It seems to be more sensitive to burned discs than any other device I've owned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:12 pm 
If you have a usb drive you can dd the iso to that. I have done that for more than a year and not had a bad copy and they boot way quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
After my 4th burned disc failed I tried the USB route. It worked great and much faster than from the DVD drive. I initially tried Rufus to make a bootable USB from the ISO on my Win 7 machine, but that didn't work. I got the same errors as this post. And like that issue, USBWriter worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:18 am 
I want to install LinHES as the second option of a dual boot with another Linux distro. The install options don't seem to offer an option of selecting the partition to install upon. I have been reluctant to proceed for fear it might overwrite my other partition. How do I do this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_ ... University

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin
LinHES requires it's own dedicated drive. The install will erase any partitions and create it's own.

The only way for LinHES to live peacefully with another distro on the same drive is to install linhes first, and then install the other distro.