View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:02 pm 
Hi,

I have not been running LinHES for a short while, but I'm hoping to get one up and running again and integrated into my media solution to pick up shows I can't easily get from my Usenet account.

I have a RasberryPi running openELEC as my media centre, FreeNAS holds my media. I want LinHES to record TV shows and transfer them to my server. I know I can use the XBMC mythtv plugin to talk to the mythbox and set recordings etc.

I've been looking around at ways of doing this and I'm not sure of the best way of achieving this. Can anyone offer advice? Done anything similar?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm 
I believe that you can set the LinHES backend to record directly to the NAS and as long as you use LiveTV app on XBMC to manage your recordings you should be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 am 
Hi Matt,

That worked fine in fact. Very pleased with that. As my LinHES backend is on MythWelcome for power saving I am wondering on how that will effect setting recordings / watching live TV (not that I do much of that).

I was able to build a MythTV jail on my FreeNAS server and I am considering setting that as my master backend and changing the separate unit as a slave. Might mean a bit more fiddling, but allow some flexibility in setting recordings etc.

C

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm 
Very happy to hear that it worked for you. I was thinking about suggesting that you might want to run your backend on your FreeNAS server but I wasn't sure how that might affect stability. You can do all sorts of fun things with MythTV there is even a guy who works for a small college campus and the Dorm room Cable is being fed from a MythTV backend. He has a tuner for every channel it is always recording and the students can pull up the live feed or previous shows. Here is the podcast where I heard about it. http://tlltsarchive.org/archives/MythTV ... sode35.ogg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:57 am 
Hi Matt,

I'll check out that podcast later, I'm currently going through the mythbackend setup again on the FreeNAS, - there is tutorial over on the FreeNAS forums (CLICKY)

I had previously managed to get a mythtv backend installed on my FreeNAS box, but I couldn't get it to see my tuner card. Apparently it works well with a HDHomerun / IP tuner / USB tuner, but as I have none of these and intend to spend no money, I am stuck with a two part solution.

I got in on the discussion further down - my jail couldn't initially find MythTV, you need to run "pkg update" & "pkg upgrade" right after you've created the jail, then the instructions do work.

C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:25 am 
So are you running the master back end on the freenas and have a slave backend with a tuner card that responds to Wake on LAN?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:29 pm 
That is my plan. I'm working through the setup currently. Will post back when I've got it to work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm 
HI

Linhes Master BE/FE
Linhes, Mythwelcome, XBMC, and I'm experimenting with XBMC PVR.
It's primary role is recording and I like to keep it off most of the time.

My TV'S use dedicated Linhes FE

My Server handles my library. A Stablebit Drive Pool protects the library

If I turn on the Linhes Master and the Server I can access all content via XBMC
Once Linhes FE is up and I enter XBMC, I can then shutdown the Master BE/FE if I only want to watch content from the library.

Upgrading Linhes does not affect my Library I can add drives to the pool to expand my library.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am 
I've got mythtv backend working on my FreeNAS server... Well to a point.

I can run mythtv-setup and do the initial setup. I'm using the demo tuner and an .xmltv - well trying to. I'm struggling to get full listings and I'm also struggling to convert my old master backend into a slave backend.

I've changed the ip address in mythtv setup to point at the server's myth install. I've also given access mysql access to a remote mythtv install.

My xbmc certainly connects to the server mythtv install, but as it's not got any listings or recordings its not much good currently.

I haven't yet sorted out the nfs share to record to the server either yet. I want to get everything talking to each other first.