View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Apparently Google has decided that all video's from YouTube have to be their new WebM codec VP9. VP8 had hardware supported decoding and ran relatively smoothly. I can't play a YouTube video in Chromium without it pausing and stuttering every 1 second. If I run Top I can see that Chromium is pegging the CPU at 100%. I have searched high and low on the internet for how to turn off VP9 or even libVPx in Chromium but it seems that Google is shoving this bad video codec down our thoughts. I have installed Opera and it plays back YouTube just fine using the hardware supported h.264 codec and then randomly it will crash and require a re-start of Opera.
Does anyone know of a solution? Is anyone else having this problem?

Why this pisses me off: I had to switch form Firefox to Chromium because Adobe didn't support Flash on Linux anymore, YouTube and other sites demanded Flash, and Google is updating flash on Chromium only as a byproduct of Chrome-OS. Now I look and Firefox isn't in the repository anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:47 am 
Can't say that I have seen this but I am on the testing branch which has a newer version of Chrome.

A little bit of history. In 2011 Firefox was removed from repos as there were not enough LinHES devs to support keeping all the browsers updated. Chromium got the most attention because it worked best with the web-on-linhes feature cesman added. In late 2013 before the release of R8.0 chromium was replaced with Google Chrome. While Chromium and Chrome are closely related, packaging and getting flash to work is easier with Chrome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:53 am 
Quite a challenge to replace x264

http://blog.euclidiq.com/video-compression-blog/the-video-codec-fight-h.265-vs.-vp9

hardware compresion always seems to be better

http://www.webmproject.org/hardware/vp9/

working on streaming 4k

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/02/googles-vp9-video-codec-gets-backing-from-arm-nvidia-sony-and-others-gives-4k-video-streaming-a-fighting-chance/

It's on the leading edge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:14 pm 
Yeah sorry about that I came off as a bit of a jerk above. My frustration was that YouTube worked on Firefox then Adobe stopped updating flash and YouTube refused to load even if the video was available in HTML5, I switch to Chrome and 1080p works beautifully for about 6-7 months, and then it breaks and I have to spend day's trying to figure out what changed on my system only to learn that YouTube is trying to force their currently free (as in beer) proprietary format on the internet.
I know you guys work hard and I don't understand 98% of what goes on under the hood and I didn't mean to come off as a jerk. Google is just annoying me right now. I don't want to have to buy a $300 CPU just to watch YouTube especially when it used to work really well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:27 pm 
in searching the web it looks like Nvidia will only be supporting hardware acceleration of VP9 on their top of the line cards in the future. So why is Google forcing this on me. Why can't I set a swtich in Chrome saying that my hardware doesn't support VP9 please give me the industry standard H.264 (as far as video CODECs can be standard)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:15 pm 
More info

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY4NTg

Right now only two Nvida cards gtx 970, 980 are supported and they are not for HTPC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:28 pm 
thanks racerx. which begs the question why is Google pushing so hard to make their quality worse?