View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:42 am 
When I migrated from Mythdora to LinHES I had a motherboard failure with one of my frontends and ended up with a Pentium based machine to replace it. All of my other FE's were Atom based MB's and when I came across a couple of new Atom MBs at a good price I decided to replace the Pentium based FE machine and since the specs were a little faster I plan on replacing my MBE with the new MB. The existing MBE MB is a Zotac Atom 330 based MB, the two new ones are Zotac Atom D2550 based MBs.

My first attempt was to migrate the FE hard drive to the new MB, but had no success and little time, I just reinstalled LinHES to get the FE machine back up and running.

Moving on to the MBE, when I put the system together, I get the grub boot prompt, but after that it won't boot as it can't find a specific UUID. Searching the site and the web I'm not finding clear instructions on how to proceed. On the web, I'm seeing instructions on editing fstab, booting a fallback then run mkinitcpio -P, being very inexperienced with linux and since I don't want to blow away 1.5TB of recordings, I'm moving very slowly and cautiously. While I do have all the backups for the recordings and system, I really don't want to re-install if I don't have to.

Can anyone provide me with, or point me to good directions on the steps to take to move an existing hard drive to a new motherboard?

Thanks.
Bruce.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:14 am 
Migrating an install to a new motherboard is not easy. The drivers needed for Each motherboard are different. Your quickest solution is to back up install fresh and restore. You could try to swap MB and try the Re-install option but I don't know what that leaves and what it deletes. Whatever you decide to do I'd do it with a clone harddrive so that if anything goes wrong you can still get the old machine back up and running.

Here are some guides on swapping new hardware.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... w-computer
http://superuser.com/questions/183958/u ... -reinstall

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:38 am 
Might be easier to just backup using the LH backup script, do a fresh install on the new hardware, then restore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:30 am 
Thanks for the feedback guys, I ultimately did as graysky suggested.

Thankfully the new MB has USB 3.0 ports so reloading the 1.5T of recordings took 6 hours rather than 9~12!

Regards
Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:57 pm 
OUCH! You could have added the 1.5 TB of data to the storage group without moving it twice.