View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: New computer/old drives
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:43 pm 
I just got a replacement computer for my BE/FE computer. The system is a Dell Optiplex that I got from ebay without any drives so I plan to move my two drives from my old BE to the new system.

The old system has a 1.5TB drive that is dedicated to storage and a 500GB drive that has the LinHes partitions as well as media storage. I would like to make this simple on myself and do a fresh install and the restore the database but I think that would mean I would have to format the 500GB drive losing any recording on that. Is that true?

If so, I have enough available space on the 1.5TB drive to hold all of the recordings. So I could move all the recording to the 1.5TB drive but I am not sure of the easiest way to do that? My thoughts are:
1) stop mythbackend
2) Move recordings from the 300GB drive to the 1.5TB drive
3) Run mythsetup and delete the 300GB storage group.
4) Restart mythbackend
5) Do a Linhes backup

Is that correct? Will the database know where to look for the moved recordings in this case?

If so, I can then disconnect the 1.5TB drive and then do a fresh install on the 300GB.

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 am 
Big boy stan wrote:
The old system has a 1.5TB drive that is dedicated to storage and a 500GB drive that has the LinHes partitions as well as media storage. I would like to make this simple on myself and do a fresh install and the restore the database but I think that would mean I would have to format the 500GB drive losing any recording on that. Is that true?
Not true, IF you do an Upgrade install from the ISO. The Upgrade install only formats the first partition (root) on the drive. The home, db and data partitions of the drive are not touched. I did this exact type of hardware swap a few months ago on a system and this is how I did it. Moved all drives and tuners to the new box. Booted the ISO and did an Upgrade install on the boot drive. The only thing I think I had to do was reapply the VNC passwords and some network things that were specific to environment. It is possible that just swapping the drives may work if the old box and new box are similar. In my case they were quite different and trying to boot in the new system resulted in a grub error.

Big boy stan wrote:
If so, I have enough available space on the 1.5TB drive to hold all of the recordings. So I could move all the recording to the 1.5TB drive but I am not sure of the easiest way to do that? My thoughts are:
1) stop mythbackend
2) Move recordings from the 300GB drive to the 1.5TB drive
3) Run mythsetup and delete the 300GB storage group.
4) Restart mythbackend
5) Do a Linhes backup

Is that correct? Will the database know where to look for the moved recordings in this case?
If you want to change your partition sizes on the boot drive this is the way you will need to go. But if you are not changing them the Upgrade install is the way to go.
A couple of notes if you got this way. As long as you are using Storage Groups there is no need to stop mythbackend. The db has no idea which disk the recording is on and doesn't care. As long as the file is in a defined Storage Group MythTV will find it when it is needed. This means you can move the files between the Storage Group directories with no problems to the db. There is empty_storage_groups.py that will empty a selected Storage Group to other available Storage Groups.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:52 pm 
Thanks so much. Your advice was spot on. Following your advice, the new hardware was up and running in less then 30 minutes.