View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 pm 
I want to replace a Chromecast with a proper frontend and am looking for what people are using. There are a couple of options that come to my mind like a Raspberry Pi or Intel Stick but I want something that has proven to work.

Also I need a way to control it, in my lounge I use a Logitech K400 but this being a bedroom I need something a little bit more discrete, so also looking for suggestions on this front.

Looking forward to hearing you all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 am 
I have a raspberry pi 3 which I use occasionally as a frontend. It is running raspbian OS and initially it was setup with mythfrontend light 0.27. However, there were some issues with the performance of the playback. I have since been running kodi 17 on it and playback is much better. It could probably be improved further by running a cat5 cable to it instead of the built-in WiFi. I wouldn't rule it out and I havent tested the newer mythtv light installs for it since it is up to 29 now and linhes 8.5.1 is 29 as well.

As for the remote, I have enabled hdmi cec and control it with the TV remote. There are a couple drawbacks (menu and info buttons are received by the tv instead of the device) but this tv is not used very frequently and it suits me fine. Otherwise, you could install an app called kore to control kodi from your phone (or mythmote for mythtv).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm 
I just bought an old desktop PC from Amazon for $200.
http://forums.linhes.org/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p141930

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 pm 
Thanks Matt,

I have enough old parts lying around to build something however I am looking for a much smaller form factor (sorry for not stating that earlier). The computer is to go with a TV mounted on a arm on the wall near the ceiling with a data points readily accessible, thus the reason for the initial suggestion of a Raspberry Pi or Intel Stick.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:53 pm 
I had a Raspberry Pi 2B running the MythTV fronted but it didn't work that well with MPEG 2 recordings that my HD Home Run makes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:11 pm 
mattbatt wrote:
I had a Raspberry Pi 2B running the MythTV fronted but it didn't work that well with MPEG 2 recordings that my HD Home Run makes.

Did you purchase the mpeg-2 decoder? I am not ready to switch to the raspberry pi for a primary frontend, but I certainly would try it for other TV's. I think that if you install the daily kodi builds on the pi, you may be able to watch Netflix and Amazon prime on it if you have accounts. I'm not sure what the "lightest" hardware that you could install a LinHES frontend on. I suspect it would be a monumental undertaking to port it to a raspberry pi. I think it will be hard to match the performance of a "desktop" system, but I was pleasantly surprised with the playback on the pi.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 pm 
I chose an ECS LIVA, not sure you can purchase that particular model anymore. There are probably replacement models, though.

Also, I could not use it with LinHes -- it's been a while but I think it was because the system required EFI to boot and LinHes did not support it at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm 
I've been using a Vero:
https://osmc.tv/vero/

running OSMC/Kodi and the MythTV addon. It has a high WAF.