View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm 
knappster,

No, still haven't found a fix. Still hangs intermittently. I wrote a script that kills the frontend process and LinHES respawns a new frontend process.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 pm 
tscholl, I have not used my system much since upgrading and I have only had this fault one time, but I decided to downgrade to nvidia 304 from 340 because linhes 8.1 was using 304. The command was
Code:
sudo VGACARDTYPE="nvidia-304xx" xconfig.sh
followed by a reboot. I will post if I experience this issue again with the 304 driver.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 am 
Thanks for the update. It sounds like a good idea. Hope it works!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm 
Since there hasn't been much new TV due to the holidays, I haven't been watching much tv, but no lockups so far. I did want to note, however, that gputemp in xymon appears to have stopped updating about the same time that I downgraded the driver. I'm not real sure why or 100% if that was the cause, but I just wanted to send out a warning in case anybody else tries this.

edit: I just found the issue. Apparently the nvidia-smi has slightly different outputs for 340 vs 304. I just commented out the following line:

Code:
temp=`nvidia-smi -q -g 0 -d TEMPERATURE | grep -Ei 'GPU Current Temp[[:space:]]+:[[:space:]]+[[:digit:]]+ C'`
and replaced with:
Code:
temp=`nvidia-smi -q -g 0 -d Temperature | grep -Ei 'Gpu[[:space:]]+:[[:space:]]+[[:digit:]]+ C'`

I feel kind of bad because the script has a number of checks in it to make sure that it is an nvidia card, etc. and so there is surely a more elegant way to handle this by checking the version of the driver, but it is working for my specific configuration this way and should be simple enough to roll back if I upgrade the driver back to 340.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:51 am 
FYI, I have still not seen this issue since downgrading to the 304 drivers. I would encourage you to try it If you haven't found another solution.

One disclaimer is that I still can't get chrome to launch reliably and I suspect it could be related to the legacy nvidia driver. I have not verified that, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:22 pm 
Just in case, what's the command to change back to the current driver? Not that anything would go wrong. lol

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:27 am 
I believe that the 210 is only supported in the 304 and 340 legacy drivers, but verify your current driver in case I am wrong. To get the 304 driver:
Code:
sudo VGACARDTYPE="nvidia-304xx" xconfig.sh

And to get the 340 driver back:
Code:
sudo VGACARDTYPE="nvidia-340xx" xconfig.sh

I replaced the 210 with a 710 which is only supported with the 340 and the current nvidia drivers and the issue returned when I installed the 710 and the latest nvidia drivers. I still haven't gotten around to downgrading to the 340 drivers, but I suspect it will still happen. There must be some other common threads between your machine and mine because it seems that only a few lucky people experience this issue.

Just to be clear, though, I never experienced this issue with the 210 card with the 304 drivers and I had it running that way for months. I only changed things around because kodi 18 wasnt working with that combo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 pm 
Thanks for the information. I changed back to the "nvidia-304xx" driver today.

I'll update with any news.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:41 pm 
Update

Since downgrading the driver I am pleased to say that I haven't had and hangs. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm seeing more artifacts and screen tearing on several channels. I did have this problem with the 340 drivers but am seeing it on more than one channel since downgrading to the 304 drivers. The artifacts only appear on the channels tuned on my HDhomerun Prime with a cable card.

Also looks like Nvidia has also recently released an update version or 340 drivers.

Version: 340.107
Release Date: 2018.6.6
Operating System: Linux 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 66.98 MB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm 
Well, sorry to hear about the artifacting. I did not notice that when I was using it, but I was using an HDhomerun for OTA and not cable.

P.S., I have the 340.107 drivers installed with my GT 710 card and had a lockup this morning. I've also posted on the nvidia forums asking them for help in resolving this since the issue only happens to a select number of people and specific hardware/drivers as well. As you can imagine, there has not been a fantastic response, but if you are interested in watching it, the link is here:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -drivers-/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm 
Ok here's an update on what's happening here.

I changed back to nvidia-340xx but was still seeing some tearing so I decided to change from
VDPAU to OpenGPL.

Well that took care of the tearing and artifacts I was seeing. Unfortunately it created a new but interesting problem. It usually works well but on occasion the frontend restarts and goes back to the main menu. The good news is that you can select watch TV and it works without any intervention on my part.

The really weird part is that it always happens when it starts a new recording file. ie at the top of the hour or on the half hour when a new program starts.

I can only assume this as I can't find any information in the frontend log. When the process restarts (automatically) it overwrites the old log file.

So just for kicks I went back to the 304xx drivers. The same things happens using OpenGPL on those drivers as well.

Any suggestions on how to get more log information?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:00 am 
tscholl, you weren't seeing artifacting and tearing before? Your driver should be back to what it was before you started, so I'm not sure why this would suddenly be happening.

I posted on https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/98/linux/ regarding the issue I am seeing with the GT 710. The long and short of the response I got was that the driver is crashing and they've effectively stopped supporting VDPAU so nothing is going to change. I've changed to VDPAU Normal from VDPAU High within the last couple weeks and haven't seen a lockup yet. When I started digging into the problem I only saw lockups with interlaced video. It may mean something or it may just mean that I watch more interlaced than progressive video. Sorry, I don't have much else to suggest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:16 am 
The HDhomerun with cable card was added in May this is when the tearing and artifacts started.

The other change was from VDPAU to OpenGPL. This is when the new symptom started. I'm almost positive it's a related issue but can't find any log information.

Any suggestions on how to capture the log data before it overwrites the file?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm 
Sorry, which log file are you referring to?
My issue happened again a couple days after I last posted while the playback profile of VDPAU normal was selected, so I am back to looking for answers, too. I tried to created a new profile with ffmpeg decoder and vdpau renderer and deinterlacer and it played for about 2 minutes before locking up, so I may have found a way to make it happen more frequently. I'm going to post on the mythtv forums next. I still have not had the lockup issue with kodi, so there seems to be something unique with the mythtv code that is causing it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm 
I talking about the mythtv frontend log.

When the restarts it is over writing the original log.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next