View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 pm 
I'm new to LinHES and MythTV, but not Linux and development type activities. Java developer for about 20 years, but also other languages. I see a lot of bash, Perl, and Python scripts in the filesystem, so I'll be able to figure this out in the long run.

Just looking for a push in the right direction on where to find documentation. Did I miss it somewhere?

From looking in the menu .xml files, I see they start with "<mythmenu..." so maybe part of the answer is, go read the mythtv documentation?

But for LinHES, is there documentation showing what parts are LinHES-specific and what to go look on mythtv.org for?

As far as the install, did I miss an advanced setup option? I wanted to split between an ssd and and hdd, but it didn't give me any options for setting up partitions. If there was no option for that, guess I'll have to manually move things around and configure fstab.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 pm 
Welcome Welcome Welcome.
LinHES at it's core was designed to be the least complicated, most appliance like MythTV distro out there.
Taken directly from the http://www.LinHES.org wiki:
Quote:
We feel the product should work like an appliance and not require a lot of upkeep, while still allowing expansion and customization.
Most of the system configuration, operation and even installs can be accomplished using only a remote control.
However, if you are a person that likes to tinker and work directly with the OS that option is still available.

So advanced features are sometimes hard to find, or may not be present at all to make it easier on Newbs. Hard Drive partitioning (in my experience) is easiest done with a live disk and something like GParted before installation.
What's part of LinHES that's not standard MythTV?
If you look in /usr/LH/bin/ you will find some scripts and executables.
MythVantage is what allows you to make system changes from the MythTV interface with a remote. You can find it in "Service Menu -> LinHES Settings". http://www.linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/MythVantage
As I am not a developer I can not give you the full laundry list of what they work so hard on, I apologize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:55 am 
Woo hoo! Off to a good start...

<button>
<type></type>
<text>test</text>
<description>this is a test</description>
<action>EXEC msg_client.py --msg "test message"; xterm -e bash&amp;</action>
</button>

Displays message "test message" and opens a terminal in a new window.

I did this the "wrong way" by directly editing /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml but now I've found the theme chooser and will read up on themes and make my own (and revert the default theme xml files to their original state.)

To load it, pressed F3 to get the terminal (I think LinHES calls that "tilde") and ran "sudo killall mythfrontend". It reloads by itself a few seconds later.

Editing files in a separate ssh terminal for more screen "real estate." :)

At the moment, I am running LinHES under VirtualBox on my Windows laptop, to get familiar with it without making a mess of the actual machine I will be installing it to. (Used port forwarding so I could ssh to it.) So no actual tuner cards. That's OK, the tuners were found when I initially installed on the "real" hardware.

I'm not new to Linux, but I am new to Arch Linux. For my own machines, I've generally used some flavor of Ubuntu. At work, I'm used to Redhat, and long before that, Solaris (not Linux, but still *nix.) So getting used to pacman instead of apt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:41 pm 
welcome to linhes, i hope it meets your needs.

by default, the setup process probably creates a "storage group". storage groups are really good.

when the installation is run, it assumes that it will partition the install disk with a /, a slice for the database (/data/srv/mysql), and a slice for the media directory (for recordings, music, backups etc). there are options for changing the size of the slice for the database and root (if i recall correctly), but as far as i can tell, the remainder will be used for the media storage no matter what you do

that media directory will be mounted at /data/storage/disk0. database access and scripts will use the /data/storage path

you can add additional disks to the storage group by running the /usr/LH/bin/add_storage.py script. this script will make symlinks inside of /data/storage for the new disk using the uuid of the disk and some symlinking that is too hard to describe here, but should be obvious if you add a disk and ls -la in /data/storage

i would caution against playing around with the mounts, and just let the storage manager take control. at a minimum, leave at least some space available on your /data/storage/disk0 partition. if there is too little space, mythtv will be smart enough and just use another storage group member. additionally, leaving some room will be beneficial when it comes to backups. if additional disks are found, as part of the backup process, the tar file that is created in /data/storage/disk0/backup (by default) will be replicated across other storage group members backup directory.

an additional feature of storage groups is that you can freely move tv recordings around. the database will just find the new location for you. this is useful when migrating to larger storage. in the old days before storage groups, it was a pain because the actual mount point was stored in the database

package management is done through pacman

this is my cheat sheet
cleans up older packages from cache dir
pacman -Sc

find which packages have updates
pacman -Qu

resync databases fo find new updates
pacman -Syy

find a new package
pacman -Ss gnuplot

the repo is set in /etc/pacman.conf and points to linhes. i strongly caution against pointing to any other repo. stay with the linhes repo, and things will work.

good luck