View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:04 am 
I'm trying to install R5 but have unfortunately been caught by the old mythtv-setup video sources setup 'bug'. When running mythtv-setup, the uk tv grabber needs input in the terminal window to continue but the focus is not shifted from the setup window back to the terminal window. This means that the mythtv-setup program just hangs waiting for input in the terminal window.

There does not seem to be a method to shift focus back to the terminal window. I've tried just about every key combo I can think of (including all of the obvious ones like ALT-TAB and those that used to work in R4) but without success.

Does anyone therefore know a keyboard combo that will shift window focus in R5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:50 am 
can you move the mouse over the window?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:23 am 
no, the mythtv-setup window (which has focus) covers the whole screen. No way therefore to be able to mouse over the terminal window. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:29 pm 
Is there a way you could ssh in from another computer and start mythtv-setup so that it displays on the mythtv pc x display, while you can still see the shell from the other computer.

I have often done something similar with cygwin/X to get the myth GUIs to display on my windows pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:11 pm 
looks like alt+tab should work. but if not this article should give you an idea to look and see what it is.

http://www.momonga-linux.org/docs/fluxb ... omize.html

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:46 am 
I had a look at some of the fluxbox documentation and found the keysfile but although the ALT+TAB works on the desktop, it does not work when mythtv-setup is full screen. I also tried configuring the keysfile with more options, but none of the keyboard shortcuts seem to work when mythtv-setup is run.

As a workaround, I configured the grabber manually and then killed the tv_grab process to allow mythtv-setup to complete. Unfortunately, this means that the channels aren't setup properly in the myth database so I'll have to try and create those manually later.

I'll also have a look at the link you've posted. Thanks for that, xsecrets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:28 am 
I'm not sure if this is possible, perhaps one of the guys that is more familiar with the way that the install works could elaborate, but couldn't you use the same script that KnoppMyth runs when you first install, but run it from a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) instead of in an xterm (as is currently done automatically). When the mythtv-setup part runs, you could switch back to X using Ctrl-Alt-F7 so that you can use the windows interface part and then when the grabber needs input you can switch back to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 again) to provide input to the grabber. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:38 am 
Greg that will not work, because it will not find the X display it will just error out.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:00 am 
Try this.

Ctrl-Alt-F1

login as mythtv
export DISPLAY=:0.0
run setup script.

Ctrl-Alt-F7 to see X output
Ctrl-Alt-F1 to see script output

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 am 
what krusher said will probably work as long as you make sure you log in as mythtv like he said, because if you log in as root you will not have permission to use the display.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 am 
If you can, try going in to myth frontend and have myth run in a window. I'm not sure where the setting is, and I'm not sure that it will work for the setup screen, but it may be worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:38 am 
I tried to get mythtv-setup to run in a window but no joy - doesn't seem to support an appropriate command line option and the frontend option applies only to the frontend.

krusher, your suggestion worked perfectly. Exporting the display, starting mythtv-setup and CTRL-ALT switching has allowed me to configure the grabber and get through the setup screen successfully. Still no channels though but I think that's a 0.16 mythfilldatabase/tv_grab_uk_rt issue which I can workround.

Be nice to see a better solution to this problem in future R5 releases (if that's at all possible). Without a way to shift focus, the knoppmyth setup script will end up stuck in the mythtv-setup screen for certain grabbers. As I recall, R4 didn't have this problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:23 pm 
R4 used fvwm R5 is using fluxbox that's the difference.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:34 pm 
Site Admin
you should be able to move the mythwindow out of the way by holding down the left alt key and the left mouse button. This will grab the window allowing you to move it by moving the mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:22 am 
Just upgraded to R5A10 and can happily report that ALT-TAB now works in the mythtv-setup screen :)

Go to page 1, 2  Next