View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: MythTV on Slax Linux
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:07 pm 
Hello,

While I love knoppmyth I'm looking for a lean and mean small distro to run MythTV on. Has anyone installed MythTV on something like Slax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:56 pm 
KnoppMyth is a lean and mean distro to run MythTV on. If your time isn't worth much, you might be able to have a custom Gentoo or Slax setup, but there won't be much disk space saved, and you will be hundreds of hours poorer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:28 pm 
I wasn't so much trying to save disk space but just eliminate some of the "stuff" that you don't really need while keeping the stuff you do.

Being a linux noob I still want some of the graphical tools. Not sure if I did anything "wrong" but I noticed that the default manager (fluxbox) can be non-noob friendly. Can you run MythTV in the normal X desktop? I notice it whenever I exit out I get to this prompt with a flower in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:40 pm 
if you think fluxbox is not newb friendly you certianly wouldn't want the "normal" X desktop which in my mind means X with no window manager. What you are thinking about is probably gnome, and you can install that, but we leave it out, because that is the kind of stuff we belive you certianly do not need on a desktop box and you couldn't possibly call it lean and mean if you had kde or gnome or any other newbie friendly desktop enviornment installed.

There are some who if they had thier way you would end up with ratpoison or some other essoteric wm that even hardcore geeks have problems with just cause it is less resource intensive.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:57 pm 
The "prompt w/ a flower is GDM"... Interesting that a Linux "noob" would want to move from a distro that was designed to include all you need to a "regular" distro where you'd have to worry about installing the distro, MythTV's dependencies and MythTV. But hey, I'm all about options.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:41 pm 
Well I'm sure I'm not expressing myself using the correct terminology so you'll have to excuse that.

The point I'm making (as a "noob") is that if knoppmyth works with no or minimal tweaks then np. But if you run into an issue most of the noobs I know have at least become familiar with some of the tools that are available in most desktops. Now I'm sure there are equivalents in Fluxbox but I've never used it so I don't know. I'll list some examples I ran into.

File Browser.
Could not find one. I don't readily know where to find things or the default locations, having one makes getting around easier for me. I'll try installing something tonight.

Network Config.
I finally found out about webadmin and I'll try that tonight. But it wasn't "listed" anywhere in the menus so I would know about it.

You're absolutely right that going with a normal distro then installing mythtv is a long way around. But it seems that most of the guides on installing MythTV on some distro have a step by step install covering every detail (so it seems with the ones I've seen). After reading hundreds of posts over days I have a list of changes to files (X86Conf, etc...) that I "need" to make but I'm not really sure which are really needed or if I'm missing something.

I'm sure Fluxbox is supposed to be user friendly but that to me means shortcuts on the desktop to your drives and in the menus for the apps. All I'm saying is that for a user like me its frustrating trying to kludge our way around things while trying to figure out Fluxbox at the same time.

But I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful. For the most part I've found some really nice people who have been very helpful and patient. I'm slowly learning and I'm making progress (even if it is painfully slow).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:45 pm 
well we are working towards making the install as magic as possible, but we don't want to waste system resource on a bloated desktop enviornment (that's what you are talking about with file managers, and icons on the desktop) And during the process of making things magic we have tried to cover as many possible problems as we can come up with in the documentation, but I assure you even if you followed one of those guides that accounts for "every" possible problem you could very easily come up with a problem they didn't account for as none of the developers can have every piece of hardware.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:40 pm 
Nnyan - Remember the intent, KnoppMyth is supposed to let you set up what is effectively an appliance, not a general purpose workstation. If I'm seeing the X desktop on my KnoppMyth box, other than the 5-10 minutes when and upgrade is running, then something is probably broken, and we're not talking about the type of thing you can fix from a GUI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:31 pm 
Heh.

Nnyan wrote:
File Browser.

I use xterm.

Nnyan wrote:
Network Config.

I use netcardconfig, which I believe is referenced as part of the install instructions (first place I'd heard of it too). For later debugging, I use...xterm. :)

-brendan

PS - well, technically I tend to use an ssh session from my laptop to the mythbox so that I don't have to fire up the projector...but in either case, it's a command shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:59 pm 
Maybe I should have referenced Stephenson's "In The Beginning Was The Command Line" article. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:11 pm 
File Manager:Why do you need one on a set-top box?
Webmin: Why would it be in the menu when you connec to it via the network?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:31 pm 
Nnyan wrote:
But if you run into an issue most of the noobs I know have at least become familiar with some of the tools that are available in most desktops.
The best tool I have found for helping with any myth related problems can be found here: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/search.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:08 pm 
Well I didn't mean to get anyones hackles up, and I do apologize if I did so. I think some of my (install) frustration just leaked out and I'm sorry.

I am certainly guilty of not using search as much as I should :oops: no denying that, mea culpa.

I've also read up on the performance differences between a lightweight desktop vs a full blown desktop (especially on bootup) so point well taken there.

tjc,
good point I had not thought of it that way but I see your logic.

Brendan,
Thanks for the info on netcardconfig I must have missed that while reading the install instructions. As for xterm I don't mind the CLI I'm just not familiar with Linux enough to know where to look for things. Again my bad in no using Search enough.

cesman,
For the reasons I've mentioned, it really does make searching for things and making your way around linux a bit easier for the noob.

Not everyone sets things up the same way. I for one do not have internet access where my TV is so the PVR is by my work area (for setup). I was having problems getting the wireless card to work and I didn't know how to "manage" my network stuff since I kept borking it CLI. I may have missed it in the docs but all I'm saying was that it would have been nice to see a "shortcut" to these config tools.

Greg Frost,
Yep as admitted above guilty as charged. But since much of the time I don't really understand or know what the problem is searching doesn't always get you to the promised land. But I have committed myself to search more.