View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:28 am 
Thanks to Cesman and all the people involved in Mythtv and Knoppmyth, I finally successfully installed Mythtv on my PC and it is working great for the last one month. Like everyone else using Mythtv, I am addicted to it now. :D

This is my configuration.

Pentium II @400MHz
Intel 440BX chipset
384MB memory
30GB disk (OS, swap and cache partitions)
160GB - (with 2 partitions - for /myth/tv and /myth/video)
Hauppage 350 PVR card
Nvidia 440MX video card with tv out.
Creative AWE 64 soundblaster card.
USB 2.0 card (there is no built in 2.0)
external 8x DVD-RW drive
---------

Before I got here, I tried various mythtv installations including Wilson's guide for Fedora core 1. I also tried red hat, gentoo etc. I have another PC with built in CPU (Samuel-2@1.3GHz). I thought this one was better than P-II and ended up spending 4 months (many sleepless nights) trying various options with linux, and different windows - 2000, XP, 98, ME(to use the software that came with the PVR card). And it did not work out.

And oneday I came across Knoppmyth and tried it with the samuel processor and it did not work - the performance was bad too. Finally I gave it one try with my P-II and everything worked. After installing Knoppmyth, I downloaded Nvidia driver and installed it and reinstalled ivtv to get the sound.

Just one thing though. I noticed the CPU is 100% in use when it is recording any program. So if I try to watch the program that is being recorded the video is jittery. Is there anyway to improve the performance? I have split the disk into two partitions to store the video capture and dvd video separately. The /cache is in a different drive. Is there anything else I can do to get a better performance?

Thanks again. Great work.

SIVA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:12 pm 
You can try XvMC. Just install the MythTV XvMC debs(install-i686-lx).

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject: XvMC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:58 pm 
cesman wrote:
You can try XvMC. Just install the MythTV XvMC debs(install-i686-lx).

Cesman

Thanks. It really helped.

I tried various filesystems (ext2, ext3, jfs, xfs) for the /cache, /myth and /myth/video partitions. I noticed better performance with ext3 filesystems.

Siva

Post subject: Processor speed?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:45 pm 
I'm looking to set up a box with Knoppmyth and a PVR 350 (which I have yet to buy). Since the PVR 350 uses hardware encoding and decoding, how low can you go on the processor (MHz wise) and still have acceptable pausing and viewing of live recording?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:10 am 
Mine was working perfect using a P-450, 256MB RAM, PVR-350.

When watching TV, the CPU was under 10%. That's using the PVR-350's TV-out.

I don't think you'd want to use any other video card output as the processor requirements are much higher.

All the posts elsewhere I've seen are commonly in the Pentium 400+ range, but I'd bet you could go down to P-300, as long as you have at least a couple hundred MB RAM.

Post subject: resources for pvr-350
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:57 am 
First of all, I apologize if this information is compiled somewhere already, which I am sure it is.

I am a complete novice with Linux and mythtv...I have downloaded the latest release of knoppmyth and installed per the pamphlet. Unfortunately, I am unable to change channels or get programming information to appear. I signed up with Zap2it and followed the mythtv setup process. More importantly, I am unable to change channels. I have been trying to figure out the ivtv updates, but the files that are instructed to change after install do not exist. Can you point me to a specific how-to on how to get this working?

Once I get this working, I plan on using the TV-out function on the pvr-350 and pass the audio through the sound card.

Thank you very much.
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:44 pm 
:twisted: What does your post have to do with the parent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:42 pm 
What are you using for playback? The PVR350 or the video card?

Just curious...I have some older systems laying around. Have been thinking about building a Media Center...but using Winblows and getting some newer faster hardware.

Anyway, I would like to get the PVR500, but that doesnt have the decoder that the 350 does.

Just wondering what all a P2 400 system is capable of...if it will work for me or if I need more power ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:38 am 
If you are using the pvr-350 for video capture and playing, what do you use as a remote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:36 pm 
:twisted: WTF are people responding to this when I've already expressed by displeasure with off topic posts?