View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:44 pm 
Just an FYI that the entertainment industry is trying to strip US citizens rights away again with the broadcast flag. Check out the below EFF article which mentions the potential impact on MythTV and if you oppose take action to let your US reps know you strongly oppose you loss of these rights.

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cm ... ion&id=163

"If adopted, the WIPO treaty will give broadcasters copyright-like control over the content of their broadcasts, even when they have no copyright in what they show. A TV channel broadcasting your Creative Commons-licensed movie could legally demand that no one record or redistribute it - and sue anyone who does. And TV companies could use their new rights to go after TiVo or MythTV for daring to let you skip advertisements or record programs in DRM-free formats."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:16 pm 
Site Admin
Thanks for posting this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:28 pm 
Please visit the EFF's site and petition your members of congress. Don't let the bastards step all over your rights.

Thanks,

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:38 am 
I think if this would pass it would be the end of broadcast TV. I for one am starting to think that might be a good idea. The quality of shows on the major networks is poor. I mean Law and order Elevator inspectors unit, and CSI Moscow....cripes. HDTV is great looking and all, but honestly I find that I'm starting to watch vidcasts and DVD's more and listen to podcasts all the time. I stopped being brainwashed by network news long ago and started getting my news on the net, maybe its time for giving up on network TV. I am not a slave to some stupid corporate executive that cancels shows like Family guy, Futurama and Firefly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:16 am 
benjohnson wrote:
I think if this would pass it would be the end of broadcast TV. I for one am starting to think that might be a good idea. The quality of shows on the major networks is poor. I mean Law and order Elevator inspectors unit, and CSI Moscow....cripes. HDTV is great looking and all, but honestly I find that I'm starting to watch vidcasts and DVD's more and listen to podcasts all the time. I stopped being brainwashed by network news long ago and started getting my news on the net, maybe its time for giving up on network TV. I am not a slave to some stupid corporate executive that cancels shows like Family guy, Futurama and Firefly.

Exactly, why sit through biased, ad-ridden content, when we are in the digital age of vidcasts, and online-tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 pm 
benjohnson wrote:
Perhaps it is the medicine... But are you saying this is a good thing because execs are stupid? If that is the case, that is crap. If Firefly (which I don't get) and Futurama (which rules) were still on the air, these same "stupid execs" wouldn't want you to record them. That is what this is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:52 am 
cesman wrote:
benjohnson wrote:
Perhaps it is the medicine... But are you saying this is a good thing because execs are stupid? If that is the case, that is crap. If Firefly (which I don't get) and Futurama (which rules) were still on the air, these same "stupid execs" wouldn't want you to record them. That is what this is all about.

True.
I mean, studios pour lots of money into making TV shows, and they have every right to protect their content.

Feels like the days of BetaMax again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:58 am 
Quote:
I mean, studios pour lots of money into making TV shows, and they have every right to protect their content.

I think Heinlein said it best in his probably overquoted quote:
Quote:
"There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law. Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back." -- Robert Heinlein

DMCA, Broadcast flag, copyright extension... they all are trying to protect dinosaur companies who just can't grasp that thier business models are starting to break down due to new technologies. The crying shame is that rather than embrace the new tech and create some really kickass new concepts, they rather defend thier old dying model turning half the country into criminals doing it.

Broadcast TV (You might also include dish and cable) will die a slow death at the hands of the internet if they don't wake up and figure out the more they try to squeeze a dying business model, the more it will push people towards new technologies that don't treat you like a criminal. What happens when Grandma can't record CSI on her new Blueray DVD recorder because this new broadcast flag passes. She will either accept it and do nothing, get pissed and stop watching the show, or find someone to help her break the new law. Maybe grandma won't do the latter, but you can bet that millions more people will.

and to cesman: I do believe the execs are stupid because they fail to see what I talked about above. I think that is a reason not to support them anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:52 pm 
I agreed with what you've stated. However we should do something now. So we won't have to worry about the grandma scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:22 pm 
It is funny how the law works. From my understanding in the USA you are able to tape TV and copy CDs for your own personal use, that is legal. Here in Aussie Land that is illegal, yet they still sell video recorders and blank CDs.

Sometimes I just think it is hippocritical that something like Kazza was sentenced by the court to force them to ensure there software did not allow the exchanging of copyrighted material. How many video recorder companies have you seen being taken to court for allowing people to record TV, or blank media manufactures for providing the means to transport copyrighted material.

I appreciate the copyright owners wishing to protect there assests and put in the same position I would want to do the same thing. What I don't agree with is the method of how they are going about it. They do need a new business model that falls into line with new technologies and produce a product that people want.

How long do you think it would take if this law is passed and enabled in hardware, before someone hacks it and finds a work around. DVD encryption didn't take that long, so to reiterate I think it is fruitless in the end.

Another reason is, ok this law is passed in USA, this has no bearing on Aussie Land (not yet anyway) so how does this stop us from recording the show and distributing it, not that I would.

Just my thoughts from an outsider looking in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 am 
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/10/11/12 ... 129&tid=17
Don't let the bastards trample all over your rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:01 pm 
cesman, have you any information on how Joe Baca, who I think would be both of our house representatives, has voted in the past for issues like this. I have written his local and DC offices about this new issue, and am thinking of continuing this effort by hand delivering letters to the San Bernardino office since I work near there. I would be glad to walk a few other letters over if you or any other local cats what to join in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:14 pm 
No, I have none... I didn't need to read ./ to know that Boxer was all for this crap. I got a response from her the last time this reared its ugly head. She all but said she was in favor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 pm 
Yea I know Boxer... *@#$&@, but she is in the senate and I am looking at the house now. That is where the EFF is focusing it's work right now. Joe Baca is the 43rd CA District rep, which covers Ontario, Fontana, etc... He is the one that I can't find info on. Boxer is useless, so is the other CA senator. Anyway, I will be sending letters directly to his office in hopes of beating this crap back with as big of a stick as I can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:47 pm 
Check out this new entertainment industry obsurity

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004106.php

Apparently now the industry wants every consumer analog video input device manufactured in the United States within a year, forced to obey not one, but two new copy restriction technologies: a watermarking system called VEIL, and a rights system called CGMS

The below article specifically mentions MythTV as under this proposal's axe.

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/01/ho ... _the_.html

Go to page 1, 2  Next