View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: it worked for me!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:54 am 
PNY nVidia 5750 optima LG (8x agp) (128 ram)
amd 1800+ (1.5 ghz, not oc'd)
256mb ram
120 gig hd (100 for tv, 8 for buffer and rest for knopmyth)
generic brooktree bt878 capture card (it was sold to me as a pinnacle sys pctv rave)
dlink dwl-122 usb wifi dongle (has some problems with restarting, seems like i need to plug it back in after a restart (unplug, then plug back in) to getmyth to recognise it)
msi 7201 (via kt600 series)
dvd+r (i *think* its khypermedia) its generic and works well (havent tested wit dvd brunung...)
a serial cabel controling my directv box (search wiki)
wireless keyboard and mouse (by memorex, the range SUCKS)
im looking for cheap ram (like 10-20$) then i upgrade to 512 dual channel ddr

other than that i think thats all.
to get tv out i had to make changes to the X86Config-4 file but you can find that in the wiki under the 5200 tvout how to.

other than the tv out i had no problems with config files.
the dlink wifi adapter is pirsim 2 chapset based and SOMETIMES WORKS (just unplug and pulu gin usualy gets it going right again)

but all this hardware works "out of the box" save you need to get the directv script, and edit the tvout file.

btw, any way i can get tvout (svid) and CRT at the same time? i heard its so hard and not worht it, that i should just use ssh.

so use the list, i estimate that useing eaby and newegg you can get simalar hardware for bout 2-300$ (get a lesser vid card, and more ram, bigger HD)

Post subject: Re: it worked for me!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:23 pm 
Darth_tater wrote:
btw, any way i can get tvout (svid) and CRT at the same time? i heard its so hard and not worht it, that i should just use ssh.

This is possible, I actually did it at one point while getting things working on my original KnoppMyth box, and my example XF86Config-4 is still over in Tier 2, but it's both fiddley to set up and has some fairly annoying downsides. As a result I strongly recommend against it, especially given the other options like ssh and using the text consoles.

Post subject: Re: it worked for me!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 pm 
tjc wrote:
Darth_tater wrote:

This is possible, I actually did it at one point while getting things working on my original KnoppMyth box, and my example XF86Config-4 is still over in Tier 2, but it's both fiddley to set up and has some fairly annoying downsides. As a result I strongly recommend against it, especially given the other options like ssh and using the text consoles.

ok, thats waht i heard. but could you list theese "downsides"
i rele want to do this bc family dosnt always wat tv on, but i do. so i watch tv on crt (in different room) but i will lookaround in tier 2.

ok, found file. worked for me. but the overlay is a bit off, monitor image is awkword (working on that wit monitor controls) and the tv is cutting picture off by maby .4/.5 inch so any recomendations. if not i will just play round wit the config file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:59 pm 
Rip out the overscan line in that example and mess with it via nvidia-settings.

Downsides are things like Xv only working on one head, or not working at all, and you really need Xv for playback. The Xv color controls definitely did not work on either screen in that configuation.

BTW - Here's a hint, if you NFS mount the /myth/tv directory from another box, you can watch the files there with xine, mplayer or the like... So for example I could be watching one thing on my workstation's monitor in the office, while someone else was watching something different on the TV in the living room... :idea: As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:15 am 
tjc wrote:
Rip out the overscan line in that example and mess with it via nvidia-settings.

Downsides are things like Xv only working on one head, or not working at all, and you really need Xv for playback. The Xv color controls definitely did not work on either screen in that configuation.

BTW - Here's a hint, if you NFS mount the /myth/tv directory from another box, you can watch the files there with xine, mplayer or the like... So for example I could be watching one thing on my workstation's monitor in the office, while someone else was watching something different on the TV in the living room... :idea: As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

i did that
but on 256 mb ram (only ~8 on average free at idle) and a 11mbps usbwifi dongle, its pretty hard ;)

so i just copy them to a a gigibit NAS then convert it to avi (so u dont need the DSmythfilters

but i did have a post bout transcodeing jobs failing. all of them fail. cant figure it out and idk where the log for that is kept.