View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Asus a8n-vm csm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:13 pm 
Don't. Even. Bother. Endless problems and fragile installations that break when you touch anything.

Installed Windows MCE 2005, which works flawlessly. GamEx provides the MAME and emulator functionality.

I will switch back to Myth when Linux catches up, but it seriously isn't worth the headache right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:39 pm 
Sorry about your problems.

I was about to add a tier 2 report for this board. Using R5A30 with a custom 2.5.15 kernel to support the newer features on the board.

Also using a combination of DVB and PVR-150 which needs custom drivers, but all that works great now.

Audio needs a recent ALSA build but it is very recent hardware. All that works except AC3 pass through.

I even have all of the powernowd support working to underclock the CPU.

No stability issues, machine has been up for several days.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:57 pm 
Steve,

Yeah, I know some people have had success to varying degrees.

I did get most parts working, but then something else would have an issue, and fixing that would break the previous fixes. Too many workarounds and tape on the muffler, at this point.

I guess I'll leave saying if you're very comfortable with Linux and willing to be challenged/potentially frustrated, go ahead with this setup. If you want something that works completely with reasonable effort, forget it.

I really didn't want to swtich to Windows. And I really didn't want to use MCE. I've tried every PVR out there.. SageTV, BeyondTV, Meedio, etc. When I finally bent over and installed MCE, I was pleasantly surprised with how far it's come. There are a ton of third party add-ons these days.

Would still prefer to use Myth for various reasons, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:39 am 
Its hardly tier3 lol

Any1 else trying to get it to work, read this thread: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=a8nvm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 am 
lolz, no.. it's probably tier 2.75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:44 am 
What extra problems did you have? The only problems I had were using 2.6.16rc1, as soon as i tried it with 2.6.15 it worked like a champ.

The problem with this thread is its gonna put people off trying this motherboard when tbh its probably one of the best boards around for a media center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 am 
if it requires a newer kernel than comes with knoppmyth at the current point I would just as soon have people turned off from the board if they are planing on using knoppmyth, because having 100 newbies trying to upgrade their kernel is a nightmare.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:14 pm 
There will always be issues with bleeding edge hardware. Once we get R5 final with MythTV 0.19 I hope all of these will have gone away. Until then thankfully there are a couple of us with this board to bounce ideas and tips around.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:27 pm 
yeah, thats basically all i meant to say.

unless you're hardcore, just wait it out and use something else in the meantime.

it was a mistake on my part to think hardware that new would be smooth sailing and not a barrel over niagara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:05 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
if it requires a newer kernel than comes with knoppmyth at the current point I would just as soon have people turned off from the board if they are planing on using knoppmyth, because having 100 newbies trying to upgrade their kernel is a nightmare.

Good point Xsecrets :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 pm 
Hi all,

I bought the Gigabyte 6150 based board and have a ton of problems. Don't buy it. However, at one point a couple of weeks ago I had everything working (sort of). I could see the program guide, watch live TV, record and playback shows.
I thought it was swell, but when I watched a show with my wife she hated it because she said the picture was jerky or jittery. After she said that I noticed the problem also and it bothered me. I have tried many things and finally went out and bought a 6200TC card to use for video to fix this. I still haven't got it working properly.
Do any of you have a HDTV tuner (not Myth) and can you A/B the HD playback and the 6150 plays in 1920x1080i mode totally butter smooth and the audio is always totally synced? If you haven't watched a non-Myth HDTV maybe you wouldn't notice the jitters. I am not talking about obvious (audible) stops in the playback, it is just very slight jitter that doesn't look as smooth as a built-in HDTV tuner looks.

Thanks for your replies,
Rick Wirch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:55 pm 
Hi all,

I bought the Gigabyte 6150 based board and have a ton of problems. Don't buy it. However, at one point a couple of weeks ago I had everything working (sort of). I could see the program guide, watch live TV, record and playback shows.
I thought it was swell, but when I watched a show with my wife she hated it because she said the picture was jerky or jittery. After she said that I noticed the problem also and it bothered me. I have tried many things and finally went out and bought a 6200TC card to use for video to fix this. I still haven't got it working properly.
Do any of you have a HDTV tuner (not Myth) and can you A/B the HD playback and the 6150 plays in 1920x1080i mode totally butter smooth and the audio is always totally synced? If you haven't watched a non-Myth HDTV maybe you wouldn't notice the jitters. I am not talking about obvious (audible) stops in the playback, it is just very slight jitter that doesn't look as smooth as a built-in HDTV tuner looks.

Thanks for your replies,
Rick Wirch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:59 pm 
uh, wrong thread?

Post subject: working pretty well
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:11 pm 
I've had the Asus A8N-VM CSM board working pretty well for the last 2 months now. I'm recording and displaying full 1080i HDTV with the onboard 6150 video chip!

The tricks to getting it working is:
- update nvidia drivers to at least ver 8178 (right when X-Windows chokes on the old nvidia drivers during mid-install)
- use the 'dhclient' command to get internet access via DHCP, so you can go fetch new nvidia drivers and install them right then
- after the setup finishes, then update the ALSA sound drivers to version 1.0.11 - and unmute all your sound channels using the ALSAMIXER program (look for my ALSA update script posted in the forum)
- update your Asus BIOS to version 1001 and then your autoshutdown will work

Those are the main updates needed to be functional in R5B7 or R5C7.

After that, the tweaks are just updates and additional video codes for MPLAYER, for example.

The clouds are parting and the sun is about to shine with full brightness on the Asus A8N-VM CSM board.

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:32 pm 
I just posted an Tier 2 on this board yesterday. I'm still having some sound issues but I haven't updated ALSA. Thanks for the tip there.

Go to page 1, 2  Next