View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:22 am 
All my backends have used Via chipsets. My current one is running on a Gigabyte GA7VT-600 with a KT400 chipset. I have enormous amounts of uptime with it (> 6 months) - and then it would be more if I didn't upgrade HDDs, swap fans etc.

I have 3 capture cards, 2 DVB-T and one PVR150 - I never have problems recording 3 shows at the same time and watching a recording.

Maybe Via chipsets are just more of a lucky-dip than others. IMHO the chipset makes little difference if the motherboard is crap in the first place. For example, if I'd bought a cheap as hell PC CHIPS board I wouldn't expect the kind of uptime I'm seeing ;-)

As far as using framegrabber boards goes, I've tried it on a KT133 based board (Abit KT7-RAID) and only decided against using it because it looked crappy. I didn't have any bus issues as far as I know.

Give Via chipsets a break you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:10 pm 
Both my systems use Via KM400 chipsets, my main Knoppmyth backend/frontend with a Soyo SY-K7VMP2 (with a 1.6 gHz Sempron, $70 :D) and my main workstation/occasional frontend whose manufacturer escapes me at the moment. My Knoppmyth box has a PVR 500 and I've never noticed anything that could be a DMA problem. In fact, it has no problem watching live tv, recording a second program, and using mythburn to make a DVD. So either I'm just really lucky, or the KM400 chipset is OK, or as someone else suggested, it's an issue with lousy manufacturers.

Post subject: soyo dragon
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 pm 
I just put together a soyo dragon, knoppmyth box. I didn't know of any issues with via at the time, but mine works fine on everything but watching TV. 30 seconds max then it locks up totally.

I was trying to track down the problem when I noticed the PVR 250 card was " really" hot. I rebooted and just let it sit Idle and the card cooled down. As soon as I tried to watch TV it heated up again and locked..

My question is, could my problem be a pci buss speed or pci voltage problem?? should I mess around there??

any thoughts would be appreciated..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:52 am 
My Epox 8KHA+ KT266a system is rock solid. Using a PVR150 and 768Mb ram. 80,160,250 Gig drives in LVM2.

Recording @ 480z480 5mbps
Audio 128bps 32Khz Mp3

No problems watching while recording (same or different show).. In fact the machine has never locked, tho it has stuttered when I was playing with the drivers for an ATI 9200..

Onboard Audio, Realtek 8139 10/100 Lan, Radeon 9200(possibly SE)..

This machine has run Mandrake 9.1, Suse 9.2 and Knoppmyth with no problems.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3