View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 pm 
Now that my Knoppmyth box has been running great for about 5 months now, I am trying to set up an older PC using Knoppmyth for my brother. Here is the situation:

The motherboard doesn't support drives larger than 137 gb (48 bit addressing) so I installed a Promise TX2 PATA card, and am using it with a 200 gb drive. Since this drive shows as hde instead of the hda needed for an auto install, I tried a manual install. All seemed to go well. I created the 4 needed partitions, and and I followed the instructions for a manual install in the pamphlet. When it said that the install was successful, I re-booted and when it accessed the hard drive, it tried to run GRUB and exited with an error. I had Ubuntu on this drive before, which uses GRUB, so I am guessing that KM didn't install lilo for some reason and that GRUB is left over from the Ubuntu install.

In an attempt to see what is going on, I booted to a Knoppix live cd, and found that hde1 seems to have all the KM files as expected. I mounted hde1 as R/W, and edited /mnt/hde1/etc/lilo.conf, and found that I had to make a minor adjustment to it to reference hde instead of hda.

No I am trying to run lilo from Knoppix, and after much googling I tried this:

Code:
sudo lilo -C /mnt/hde1/etc/lilo.conf -v

This gives the following:

Code:
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from the kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03) (compat) and kernel driver
Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read only file system

I looked at /dev/mapper and found it was linked to /KNOPPIX/dev/mapper/ Also, there was a control file in mapper, but I am aware that I am probably mixing apples and oranges between Knoppix files on the live system and the KM files on hde1 (the KM system partition). The problem is, I don't know what to do next.

Am I even taking the right approach here? Is so, can someone point me in the right direction getting lilo to run? I seem to know just enough to be dangerous :D

A few more details. I am using a CD that I had which has R5A16, which I know isn't the latest. I am using it as a test install, waiting for KM with Myth 0.19 for the final install. I also successfully ran a test auto install on this box with a 60 gb drive directly connected to the MB IDE controller. The MB is a PIII Intel 440BX.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:55 pm 
You seem like a knowledgeable fellow... chroot

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:45 pm 
Thanks for the reply. The Knoppix FAQ had suggested:

Code:
chroot /mnt/hde1 lilo -v

which I had previously tried. After your suggestion, I added a "sudo" in front of it, and it worked!

Another question: At the end of the Installation step of the Manual Install, right before the window said "Installation successful" there were a bunch of errors briefly shown on the screen. I think one of them said something like "Too many volumes mounted" or something like that. Are these errors stored in a log somewhere where I can view them?

I also noticed that the standard directories on /myth were not created. Do I need to create them manually for a manual install, or is that another indication that something else didn't complete properly.

When I boot the system it seems to be OK (can't say for sure because I don't have a TV card yet). In the part of the KnoppmythInstall from the wiki talking about installing on a drive other than hda, it says, "Use this method at your own risk." I guess the question is, should this work if I follow the directions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:57 pm 
Hi,
May I suggest trying the manual install guide on the wiki? It works quite well, just have to subsitute drive id's as needed. Then you can copy the /myth to where you want it to be located, adjust fstab to match .. been there done that :)
Mike