View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:08 am 
Dear Cecil et al. on the development team,

Recently I've been looking at all the new stuff about .19 here and over at Mythtv.org and it crops up a lot. It is looking way cool and I can see why so many people are getting impatient. I suppose I'm one of them (and just about resisted getting all giddy over it!) But I now have a question.

Having read about how Myth is changin it's file structure and doing away with the ring buffer, what is KnoppMyth going to do?

Will you be using something like GNU Parted or the GUI version QTParted? I read that this works in a manner similar to PartitionMagic on Windows (and the screen shots do 'look' similar to Partition Magic in the GUI when done manually). But the article I read at didn't say much about about preserving data (but I'm sure it does), which of course I'd be keen to do.

I suppose this really isn't a 'question' (sorry Cecil) but more a request for reassurance!

Thanks
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:44 am 
I can't give a offical responce. but I'll give my best guess.

Using the autoupgrade for the next knoppmyth version will see the ringbuffer partition space wasted. It would be quite simple to add the space into the / partition. If you want to add it into the /myth partition you will probaly have to do it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:42 am 
This is just a guess, I have not tried it. It is what I will be trying after the upgrade since my /cache file system is 17GB and worth getting back.

I'm assuming /cache will go away. If so, I'll just unmount it, and remove it from the fstab. If not, I'll move what is left in it to the / file system.

I'll then boot from a knoppix disk and using qparted resize hda3 to a minimum size like 1MB, just to maintain the partition ordering.

I will then use qparted to extend hda4 using the freed up space from hda3. I have never used qparted to do this, but I'm hoping that will work.

If not, I may just do a clean install. I don't have anything set up that I would not like to do again anyway.

mike

PVR-150 - HD-5000
Geforce FX 5200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:53 am 
The /cache partition (prolly hda3 for most) is not reclaimed doing an autoupgrade so far (maybe that'll change in the public beta I don't know) but I've discovered it to be a neat place for putting stuff that I don't want to fill up my / partition, like tftpboot stuff for terminal server and source trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:58 am 
From what I read here and there posted by those with far greater knowledge than myself, the ringbuffer/cache WILL become history in .19.

So I think, resizing/removing the ringbuffer will have to happen if you are to reclaim the space from the now obsolete cache -15gig in my particular case, which isn't to be sniffed at after all.

I am hoping this will be automated. It'd be exremely untidy if it doesn't happen.

Am I hoping for too much? Perhaps.

I guess we all shall see when the release finally happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:17 pm 
tophee wrote:
I am hoping this will be automated. It'd be exremely untidy if it doesn't happen.

Honnestly I think you are making too big a deal out of this. It is quite simple to add the ringbuffer space to the / partition. If you or anybody else is really worried about merging the ringbuffer space into the /myth partition then they probaly also have the knolwedge and skills to do it.

If worst comes to worst:
1) Buy a drive from staples.
2) Backup /myth to the drive.
3) Repartition your old drive without /cache.
4) Restore /myth from the staples drive.
5) Autoupdate to newest knoppmyth.
6) Return the drive to staples.

Prest-O-change-O no more "wasted" space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:38 pm 
Fair enough.

But I doubt I'd return the drive to staples.... :lol:

Oh and by the way, I was just asking the obvious question and in doing so letting out my inner-geek (which is different to the outer-geek everyone else sees every day). I was just wondering if it had been considered as something that needed doing... As I say, the inner-geek out...