PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:39 pm 
I have:
Asus N GF6200 graphics
Biostar K8NHA Grand mobo
512 RAM
WD2000JB
AMD Sempron64 3000+
Hauppauge 150 (not mce)

Autoinstall correctly partitions the HD, says KnoppMyth was succesfully installed, asks to re-boot. Re-booting gives a black screen on all ttys. It seems that it is waiting for a response but a black screen is all I see.

I'm trying to set up on a monitor prior to moving it to tv.

Wife is getting short tempered.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:44 pm 
Does anything show up when you reboot? Does lilo load? If lilo doesn't even load I think it is because you didn't correctly set the harddrive as the boot device in the bios setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:17 pm 
No, nothing. Lilo runs through it's operations; /dev/hda1 is marked 'bootable' under fdisk. Very perplexing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:54 am 
Did you check the boot device settings in your motherboard bios setup program? It sounds like you don't have the hard drive selected as a boot choice. Or your partition isn't marked as bootable. But if you ran autoinstall that shouldn't be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:08 am 
Booted from hd and /dev/hda1 is marked bootable. Autoinstall has never worked for me...it dies at about 11%. I then have to start over and select manual install.

Also, I have to add "knoppmyth noscsi" or else it will die while searching for scsi devices.

I'm lost. Next step is re-burn and re-try, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:08 pm 
artholden wrote:
Booted from hd and /dev/hda1 is marked bootable.
You booted from the harddrive? I thought the whole port to this thread is you can't boot from the harddrive. I'm assuming you ment "booted from the CD". /dev/hda1 being marked bootable is great but that is not what I have been talking about. You have to select the boot-device/boot-order in your motherboard bios setup. Tell me have you checked this setting? You usally access the bios setup by pressing the <delete> key while the computer runs POST (power on self test).
artholden wrote:
Autoinstall has never worked for me...it dies at about 11%. I then have to start over and select manual install.

In your first post you stated "Autoinstall correctly partitions the HD, says KnoppMyth was succesfully installed, asks to re-boot." So did you or did you not actually do autoinstall? How did autoinstall "die"?
artholden wrote:
Also, I have to add "knoppmyth noscsi" or else it will die while searching for scsi devices.

How many hardrives & cd/dvd-rom drives do you have plugged into your motherboard? Make sure the cd/dvd-rom drive is on the second channel. Does your motherboard have an "extra" ata controler chip on it? If so don't use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:34 pm 
Quote:
I'm assuming you ment "booted from the CD".

You are right and I do access the bios and set boot sequence to CD. Sorry for the mixup.

Quote:
So did you or did you not actually do autoinstall? How did autoinstall "die"?

I selected autoinstall: the partitions were created. Rebooting defaults to the hd. Should I be booting from the cd at that point as well? My understanding was that it (the backend) was supposed to run from the hd and the frontend runs from the cd. Isn't that incorrect?

Quote:
How many hardrives & cd/dvd-rom drives do you have plugged into your motherboard? Make sure the cd/dvd-rom drive is on the second channel. Does your motherboard have an "extra" ata controler chip on it? If so don't use it.

Only 1 hd and 1 cd/dvd rom. Hd is on the first channel and cd on the second.

BTW, I forgot say "Thank you" earlier for all your help. It's really appreciated!![/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 pm 
Hi artholden,

I think I see a bit of confusion here and take it you are a little new to this type of project. So that's ok, we just walk a little slower.

Sounds like you went through an auto install, everything finished and then did the reboot. It should have ejected the install cd then waited for you to remove the cd and press return. (Hopefully you didn't use mythtv as a user) When you press return your new KnoppMyth box should start to come out of it's shell and then you begin the setup process.

The basic auto install setups a backend and a frontend all on the same machine. Later if you have a second machine you can boot the cd and choose frontend which is basicly a "live" cd that you can then use to connect to a valid backend (some setup required)

When describing problems try include enough information so the folks on the forum can close their eyes for a moment and visualize what you see.

It is really easier than it first appears. cesman and his team has put a powerful package together that most anyone who can read, should be able to get a KnoppMyth machine up and running in a fairly short period of time. Because of different hardware, there may be some issues and the folks here will most likely be able to help.

Enjoy! Questions? Feel free to ask, but don't forget some details :)
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:09 pm 
Thanks, mjl!!
That's much clearer. I'll be trying that tomorrow night since the wife's favorite shows are on tonight -- wouldn't do to have her hear an "Uh-oh".

I'll shoot for more specificity in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.