View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:52 pm 
Hi,

As my prior post said, I am coming from FC4+MythTV sytem to Knoppmyth. I have now had a chance to read (noth throughly) the Installation Instruction WiKi. Here are my questions/concerns

1. I had installed FC4 and MythTV (prior to that I had FC3 and Myth) by following Jarod's guide. Per the guide, it was making us create a large /video LVM and then create two directories /video/recordings and /video/buffer which you put in the mythtv-setup. I do see somewhat similar partitioning in KnoppMyth (/myth mount compares to /video in Jarod's guide) but I don't see anything for /video/buffer. There is some think like /cache but that too per a note in the documentation is not needed in R5B7. So, when I do go to mythtv-setup, what do I put as live buffer?
  2. Can I have the equivalent of /buffer as an approx. 20+ GB partition on /hda (I do have /hda as a 40 GB Disk) and the rest of the /myth on a LVM spanning the 2x200GB WD drives? If yes, how?
  3. Per the LVM How To, the automated scripts are only able to handle 255GB storage. How to increase that 255GB limit? Any help on creating an LVM of 400GB to utilize both my disks would be appreciated.
  4. How reliable is the WEBMIN to do the LVM creation and assignment to /myth mount point?
  5. Can the system be configured to use BOTH the VGA and the TV as monitors. Per the MonitorToTVTranstion Wiki, it is possible but are many folks using it and how to go about making it all work? I have a PNY GeForce FX5200 card with VGA and S-Video outs if that helps.

I think that is enough for now. I am assuming I ought to use the Manual Install right? I am no expert in Linux and I have never seen anything other than an old Knoppix and FC2/3 and 4. But haven't actively used Linux. I can do OK in UNIX if I was given instructions (I am in IT you know).

:)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:30 pm 
dvpatel wrote:
There is some think like /cache but that too per a note in the documentation is not needed in R5B7. So, when I do go to mythtv-setup, what do I put as live buffer?

I don't think this setting even exists anymore... If it does, just set it to the normal place for recordings.

dvpatel wrote:
the automated scripts are only able to handle 255GB storage. How to increase that 255GB limit? Any help on creating an LVM of 400GB to utilize both my disks would be appreciated.

That's obsolete information LVM2 (which is what Cecil provides) makes this a nonissue.

dvpatel wrote:
Can the system be configured to use BOTH the VGA and the TV as monitors.

Yeah, but you probably won't like the results. Search fro "twinview" for more info.

Post subject: HELP
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:42 pm 
OK. So, I moved around my hardware. Dumped a CD ROM, moved a HDD as slave onto the secondary channel and made the 40GB Master on Primary Channel.

Drive Configuration is as follows:
Primary Master: Seagate 40GB PATA
Primary Slave: WD 200GB PATA
Secodary Master: Pioneer 106D DVD-RW
Secondary Slave: WD 200GB PATA

The Seagate has a 41MB Dell Utility Partition. It shows up as /dev/hda1. How do I use Auto Install and not blow that partition away. I wasted over an hour moving my drives around so that I could dump the RAID card and the Audigy (mostly to get the second tuner in).

I chickened out at the Auto Install Warning where it said it will wipe my drive.

I tried manual install but I could not cough up the courage to blow away my original partitions. The reason: Fedora needs/likes a /boot partition of about 100MB. I dunno if I need to blow that away or not. :(

Someone please help me.

All I want is: 40GB OS drive and the 400GB /myth partition.

If possible, please include step by step instructions.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Admin
What is it you're trying to do? Why do you can about Fedora if you want 40 gigs for the OS and 400 gigs for /myth? You need to provide specific details/questions if you want specific answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:21 pm 
cecil wrote:
What is it you're trying to do? Why do you can about Fedora if you want 40 gigs for the OS and 400 gigs for /myth? You need to provide specific details/questions if you want specific answers.

I don't care about the Fedora Partitions. What I was asking was Fedora has a 100MB /boot partition which is not there in the KnoppMyth partition map in the wiki. So, I was confused. Then, in the Wiki, in the manual step information, I am not sure how to go about proceeding after the blow away the partitions. I have read posts on here of folks saying that the install did not install in the correct partitions. All I want is to preserve that 41MB /dev/hda1 partition. The 2 200GB drives are showing up as LVMs. Do, I delete those too or leave them alone and then follow the LVM steps?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:16 pm 
Site Admin
Do a manual install. Create two partitions on hda. One will be /, the other your swap. Delete any partitions on the 2 200s and create 1 (entire drive) on each. After rebooting, simply follow the LVM how-to (should be as simple as create_lvm.sh /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdd1, format the /dev/vg/myth w/ which ever fs you'd like.... mount /myth) and continue alone the with the installation...). BTW: I personally would not put a CD-ROM and a hard drive on the same bus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:21 am 
cecil wrote:
Do a manual install. Create two partitions on hda. One will be /, the other your swap. Delete any partitions on the 2 200s and create 1 (entire drive) on each. After rebooting, simply follow the LVM how-to (should be as simple as create_lvm.sh /dev/hdb1 /dev/hdd1, format the /dev/vg/myth w/ which ever fs you'd like.... mount /myth) and continue alone the with the installation...).

OK. Thanks a lot. I will try to do that today and report back. We are expecting company today so, I might not be able to do it today itself.

cecil wrote:
BTW: I personally would not put a CD-ROM and a hard drive on the same bus...

Can you please enlighten me regarding that statement. I have used HDDs on the same bus as CD-ROM but always in Windows. Does Linux behave differently? Does it affect DMA is that why you said that?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:39 am 
At least historically, the slowest device on an IDE channel limited the speed for the whole channel. Since optical drives are generally slower than hard drives you could end up throttling your HD severely. Also with early burners, which were very sensitive to buffer under flow issues, you didn't want anything else on the channel if you could help it. These issues are less severe with modern hardware but I would still be cautious about doing it.

Post subject: LVM Howto
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:51 pm 
Maybe the LVM script will work fine for you, but I've always installed MythTV without telling it about all my other drives and then handled the LVM for /myth separately. (I have three drives totalling 820GB, with almost all of that devoted to the /myth LVM.) I find the following LVM Howto extremely clear and step-by-step for newbies, but maybe it's just me:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/lvm.htm

Hopefully that helps someone else too.