View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:08 pm 
Summary: Everything works except the sound with Live/Recording TV, using Hauppauge PVR-350

Details:
* I installed Knoppmyth R5B7 and while running on a computer monitor, everything works just find, including sound.
* After running the R5Beta7-pvr350.pl script which compiles and installs ivtv 0.4.3 and writes an XF86Config-4 script so that all video goes out to the TV, I get no sound with live TV (antennae connected to PVR-350)

What I've tried:
* I get good sound from videos or mythmusic, and have set the mixer using alsamixer, aumix and amixer. The latest settings are from amixer, where I did
amixer set Master,0 100%,100% unmute
amixer set PCM,0 100%,100% unmute
amixer set Line,0 75%,75% mute captur
amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% captur
alsactl store
* I've read that the problem is often about the wrong msp3400.o file being used. I've done a search of my system and find only one copy of that file in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.15-chw-2/drivers/media/video/msp3400.o . I don't know how to tell if that is the right version of the file or the wrong one.
* I downloaded and did a make of ivtv 0.4.5 to see if that would make a new msp3400.o, but it doesn't.
* I tested every comination of ivtvctl -v input=?,output=? I could, and when I did ivtvctl -v input=7,output=1 && cat /dev/video0 > test71.mpg, I could play the test71.mpg file with xine on another linux box, and it included sound. But Knoppmyth still shows silent TV.
* The output of ivtvctl -A shows:
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMAUDIO
Input : 0
Name : Tuner Audio In

Input : 1
Name : Audio Line In
Is that what it should show?
* Oddly, today, after a reboot, ivtvctl -v input=7,output=1 && cat /dev/video0 > test71.mpg doesn't produce a file with any sound.

My hunch is that this is still related to ivtv, but if any one can direct me or help me, that would be awesome. If you need any particular output from dmesg or other logs, I'm happy to submit them.
If the hardware matters at all, it's an in Intel PIII, 1GHz, 256MB ram, builtin audio (Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS137), and a Hauppauge PVR-350 (model 48132, rev K268 according to dmesg).

Please, someone tell me what am I doing wrong, or what to read. Thank you.
Les...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:18 pm 
You do realise that if you use the PVR350 to play back MPEG2 then both the video AND the audio are played back though the PVR350 outputs? So unless you have something connected to the PVR350 audio out you won't hear anything. Normal practise is to connect audio out from the PVR350 to the line in on your sound card. Then everything will be present on the audio out from your sound card whether you're using the PVR350 to play back or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:25 pm 
nickread wrote:
You do realise that if you use the PVR350 to play back MPEG2 then both the video AND the audio are played back though the PVR350 outputs? So unless you have something connected to the PVR350 audio out you won't hear anything. Normal practise is to connect audio out from the PVR350 to the line in on your sound card. Then everything will be present on the audio out from your sound card whether you're using the PVR350 to play back or not.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. I have a cable from the PVR-350 audio out to the line-in on the sound card. I've also experimented with both mythtv settings re: using the PVR-350 sound. Oddly enough, I had this all working once, but with a bad stick of RAM and a small hard drive. The RAM generated enough errors that I decided to do a fresh install with a new hard drive, and I've not been able to get it to work since. I wish I'd kept notes on the first install, rather than starting on the second one. The fact that it once worked with this hardware makes me think I have the hardware set up and linked together properly. Thanks for the reminder.