View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:39 pm 
Hello all,

I decided to give R5B7 a spin this weekend on my lab box. The box has run various iterations of KnoppMyth in the past, and its an ECS K57SA Pro motherboard, with an AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz proc, 512MB of RAM, an ASUS DVD RW and an 80GB hard drive.

I noticed during the Knoppox init that it complained about a segfault with the modprobe for ivtv.

Then when I rebooted, the system would complain that it could not find the encoder firmware for the 250 then I looked at the ivtv output from dmesg.

If I did rmmod and them modprobe ivtv all would be fine.

I read the forums and it suggested reinstalling might clear the problem. I gave that a shot, no luck.

Now just before I undertook this project I had updated the factory bios on my board. Maybe that did something?

I went back in and turned off Plug and Play aware OS and then reinstalled... so far so good. I will confirm it solved the problem once the install completes but it removed the Knoppix error on HW detect pre-install menu.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 pm 
Nope, I finished the install and rebooted, and it still failied to modprobe the ivtv driver, failing at the firmware loading stage and saying it can't find the encoder firmware file.

I've let the (second) new install complete up to the point where X wants the root password. I switched to the console and logged in as root, and then did

rmmod ivtv

modprobe ivtv

And the driver loaded just fine without any errors.

Any other suggestions? Why doesn't it want to find the firmware at boot t ime?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:18 pm 
Had the same problem with a 350 and clean auto install. A new auto install right over the old one fixed the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:07 pm 
Well I did a third install, but first I turned off one other option in the BIOS.

Autodetect DIMM/PCI Clk

I set it to no.

Then I reinstalled and all is well.

Whether or not that affected anything or its this mystery re-install issue, I'm up and running... now I can check out the new build. Great! :)

BTW, I have a serial IR sender on my production machine (currently R5A16) but I didn't want to switch up until I'm certain I can get it working again. Can't be without HBO. :) Is the IR blaster script that comes in R5B7 capacble of supporting a standard serial IR transmitter or is it for something commercial only?

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:09 pm 
Hello again,

I'm trying to upgrade my production system this weekend. It is a dual tuner 250 system.

I've run in to the same problem where the firmware is not loading during system boot.

rmmod ivtv
modprobe ivtv

Will work fine once the system is booted.

I've reinstalled 5 times in a row, and no change in the behaviour, it's not loading the firmware.

Are there any other suggestions for this problem?

Thanks.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:49 pm 
I spoke with Cecil on #knoppmyth on irc.freenode.net

He asked me to do the following:

grep ivtv /etc/modules

It returned:

ivtv

Indicated that the ivtv module was reference in the file.

A quick edit of the file, to remove the line and a reboot resolved the problem and I'm back in business.

nano /etc/modules

removed the line

saved

rebooted

All is well :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:32 pm 
Sorry you got hung up on this for so long, but it is called out in the upgrade hints for both R5B7 and R5C7. http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10116 Also see the instructions on the wiki that they point you to. http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CompileIvtv