View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: lilo doesn't load
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 pm 
Please excuse me if this has already been discussed, i tried a search and could not find the answer.

I just installed the latest knoppmyth to a partition of hda. I would like to dual boot with windows. Lilo doesn't even load... it just goes to windows. (i chose lilo to be installed to MBR).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:03 pm 
Which did you install first? MS-Windows doesn't play well with others. If you installed it 2nd, it'll overwrite lilo with it 's own boot loader. You'll need to use the CD as a rescue disk and reinstall lilo. Searching for "rescue lilo chroot" (require all terms) should find the info you need. After doing that lilo will only be set up to boot Linux, but Mike (mjl) has posted some info about what to put in you /etc/lilo.conf for dual boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:35 pm 
tjc wrote:
Which did you install first? MS-Windows doesn't play well with others. If you installed it 2nd, it'll overwrite lilo with it 's own boot loader. You'll need to use the CD as a rescue disk and reinstall lilo. Searching for "rescue lilo chroot" (require all terms) should find the info you need. After doing that lilo will only be set up to boot Linux, but Mike (mjl) has posted some info about what to put in you /etc/lilo.conf for dual boot.

i installed windows first, then knoppmyth. when I boot from CD and run liloconfig, it tells me something about it being read-only and fstab being messed up. Perhaps this will hint to what is going on. i will try reinstalling lilo. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:57 pm 
Check your BIOS, if you turned on some kind of anti-virus protection it may not be letting you write the boot sector. You'll need to disable that while you update it. Given that MS-Windows will be running on the machine, keeping it enabled at other times might be wise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:59 pm 
fun4nothn wrote:
tjc wrote:

i installed windows first, then knoppmyth. when I boot from CD and run liloconfig, it tells me something about it being read-only and fstab being messed up. Perhaps this will hint to what is going on. i will try reinstalling lilo. thanks.

i mounted hda5, chroot hda5, nano lilo.conf and #'d out all "part..." lines. when i run lilo, it says "fatal: open /dev/hda: permission denied"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 pm 
tjc wrote:
Check your BIOS, if you turned on some kind of anti-virus protection it may not be letting you write the boot sector. You'll need to disable that while you update it. Given that MS-Windows will be running on the machine, keeping it enabled at other times might be wise...

i don't think this is the problem but i will double check... i had fc4 running earlier today using grub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 pm 
Hi
Try mount rw,dev /dev/hda5 then chroot /mnt/hda5 and run lilo -v Sounds like it may have been mount read only.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:38 pm 
any other ideas? should I fdisk the mbr and try reinstalling lilo?
edit: posted this before i saw mj's post above.. i will try that! thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:24 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi
Try mount rw,dev /dev/hda5 then chroot /mnt/hda5 and run lilo -v Sounds like it may have been mount read only.
Mike

when i tried this it returned, "mount: special device rw,dev does not exist"

i then tried:
mount -o,rw /dev/hda5
which worked... but after i chroot and lilo -v it returned:
"reading boot sector from /dev/hda
fatal: open /dev/hda: permission denied"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:55 pm 
Hi,

Sorry, forgot the -o and a couple of other "little" things, guess the memory is going to hell..

mount -o rw,dev /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
chroot /mnt/hda5 (have to tell it where)
nano /etc/lilo.conf (fix the issues)

check the /etc/fstab that /dev/hda5 is / and while there
check the /etc/fstab that /dev/hda_ is /myth and is auto

lilo -v (should work)
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:40 am 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

Sorry, forgot the -o and a couple of other "little" things, guess the memory is going to hell..

mount -o rw,dev /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5
chroot /mnt/hda5 (have to tell it where)
nano /etc/lilo.conf (fix the issues)

check the /etc/fstab that /dev/hda5 is / and while there
check the /etc/fstab that /dev/hda_ is /myth and is auto

lilo -v (should work)
Mike

thanks for your help. i was still having problems so i removed windows and reformated my HD all together. I successfully installed knoppmyth, but I am now having problems watching live TV. I posted some specifics here:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=