View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:06 pm 
I just went through an installation and ran into a video problem. I wanted to go back to the original XF86Config-4, because I get a blank screen upon booting into Mythtv. I read that one of the ways was to quit the knoppmyth installation CD. However, I could not get the KnoppMyth Main-Menu to allow me to Quit. Is this a bug? I tried several Quit attempts off of several menu screens with no luck - all YES to quits always put me back into the KnoppMyth menu system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 pm 
Hi scrowner,

Not sure what you are trying to acomplish with the R5C7. Were you trying to run an upgrade or get a prompt?

What is the video, and some of your other hardware? If you can boot to a black screen, you should be able to do a ctl + alt +F2 and obtain a console.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:51 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I was simply using it exit out to the command prompt to move a couple files. Yep I could use C-A-F2 however the screen is messed up upon doing this. Not blank but more like scrambled. I just wanted a stable video to go change the XF86Config-4 file back to the original that worked. So I thought running a CD kernel would stablize the video and it did I just could not figure out how to exit the mythtv installation GUI.

I am using a Sony Wega 60XS955 TV. I am using a HDMI input driven from a DVI output from a Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT. I have a simple 800x600 monitor connector to the 6600 VGA connector. I simply used the XF86Config-4.nvidia default without changing anything. Which caused all the video issues. Yep, I have to read a bunch more posts to figure out how to drive my TV. Oddly, the original XF86Config-4 file drove the monitor and the TV. But the TV was sadly squished in the hoizontal direction - to about half the screen.

So, is Quit in the installation GUI just a teaser?

Scot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:36 pm 
Hi scrowner,

I think I understand a little better now, thanks for the clarity. The quit works however it is mainly for when you are doing the installs / upgrades so one can fix & tweak things. You should be able to use as a rescue also and should appear as a prompt at the bottom of the screen.

I would suggest that you download PuTTY from the internet for your windows box and do a ssh into your KM machine. If you had a second linux machine, (live ubuntu cd?) ssh is already there and you can log in as root. First, ssh is the easiest way to work with the xserver while you are playing with the XF86Config-4 file. When you connect to the KM, first thing you do is # killall gdm to shut everything down. You make your edits, and then do # startx to test it. It will report errors to you and if all is correct the monitor / tv will light up properly. You simply do a control c to exit the xserver and to restart the gdm simpy do # gdm. If there is a problem in the config, then it reports and then exits so you can retry the fix. don't waste your time running gdm until startx runs clear and you have to ctl c to stop it..

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:24 am 
My machine is pure linux. Yes, QUIT appears at the bottom of the screen in the knoppmyth installation. I am talking about the little application that prepares to install mtytv and gives you the 6 options on the texted based GUI. But it does not allow you to quit the application. Instead it puts me right back into the main knoppmyth installation menu. This is true for all Quits in the GUI for R5C7. However, in R5B7 Quit works as expected.

Thanks for the sequence to test XF86Config-4. I do not have a second linux machine but I do have a Knoppix CD. I have never run Putty and I have never ssh'ed into a machine. I will go give these a try. I believe the biggest bridge to cross is defining the changes for XF86 file.

Scot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:22 pm 
I forgot the root password and needed to boot in single user mode to change it, wasn't sure how to do it.... you can use the procedure mentioned in this thread:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:20 pm 
Hi scrowner,

If you use the Knoppix live cd (I would opt for the ubuntu.com live 6.06 cd, (all are live/install) ) anyway, you will need to be root. Then you should be able to ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (x's = ip address) into your KM. If you are not a valid user it will not let you login.

PuTTY is a stand alone app, no install, download it (forget if it is zipped), double click, and you are ready to enter the ip , check ssh button (port22) (give a name and click save for future use :) When connecting with PuTTY it will ask you for login, mythtv is good as you can always change to su - if needed.

Bottom line, get PuTTY. You will have to become root to edit XF86Config-4

Mike

After thought: They both should be on a network behind same firewall, or direct with a cross over cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:45 pm 
All nice ideas for working with a failing video. But I am still a bit worried about the fact that my system when running the install GUI does not allow me to quit. mjl is indicating that indeed it does work - but on my machine it does not. I thought it odd that R5B7 I can quit the install program but R5C7 the quit puts you back into the install program. Can this be an indicator of problems on my system or is it simply something I can ignore?

Scot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 pm 
One should certainly be able to quit. If you cannot, I cannot think of why... You should be able to <ctrl><alt><f2> to get to a console if you need to... Did you verify the MD5Sum and the CD after burning?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:42 am 
Yes, I verified the MDsum of the ISO burned.