View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:15 pm 
Ok, before I start I should first say that I know very little linux, I used to know a few commands from when I worked in IT support, but it was minimal as I could never get the hang of it :)

Anyway. I have to run the manual install as all I have is a SATA drive. I followed the guide fine, up until the partitioning. Creating the partitions seemed to go ok.

I had 4 partitions, 1 2 3 and 5.

(the 1st 3 i made as primary and the 4th logical)

In the instructions it says to name them, but this is where I got stuck. I made sure the 1st partition was bootable. And then I went to back to the menu and selected Load Config.

In the instructions it says to press <CTRL><ALT><F2> and then do mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2

I gave this a try, just basically typed it in and pressed <Return> but this didnt work...

Hopefully someone can help take me through this, but please explain each command as if you were talking an 8 year old through each step! As I said, I know virtually no Linux, my knowledge is all DOS + Windows based. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:12 pm 
The X needs to be replaced with the letter appropriate to the drive type. "h" for an PATA drive, and "s" for a SAT or SCSI drive.

/dev/hda - primary master IDE drive
/dev/sda - primary master SATA or SCSI drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:50 pm 
HI,
Also,
What version are planning to install?
What size is the drive?
What size are the partitions?

And if you need more asistance, give some hardware details. These guys are good but can't read minds :)
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:51 am 
I have an 80gig SATA HDD, K-World DVB Tv Card, ASUS P4S800-MX SE matx m/b, 2.6 MHz Celeron D, GeForce MX440 and 512mb DDR Ram.

I have the latest version, RC57.

I followed the install guide for the partition sizes, but I after reading some forum posts it appears that I dont need all 4 partitions, is that true?

Last edited by thecourtenayboy on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:52 am 
by the way, thanks for all the help so far, I'll give it another go tonite. Would be good tho if there was a tutorial for dummies! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:59 am 
how do I name the drives like it says in the tutorial? Is this done in the console or can it be done in cfdisk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:36 am 
You only need 3 partitions. 1 for / filesystem, 1 for swap, and 1 for /myth. In versions of KM prior to R5B7 there was a need for a 4th partition /cache, but that has been eliminated.

Recent post on same subject,
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... light=sata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:25 am 
Hi,

If you have already made the fourth partition (cache I assume) keep it as you can re-use it for storing music, pictures, or even install a second linux os on it. I personnally use edubuntu some times.

There isn't any need to use logical drive 5, unless you plan to slpit the drive beyond 4 partitions. You can have 4 primary.

Labels are in the format command.

Mike