View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 pm 
Hello,

Im new to KnoppMyth so please be gentile. Iv been able to follow the instructions well enough to get past the installation. I had to do a manual install because I have a SATA drive.

I got it partitioned as such
/dev/sda1 / ext3
/dev/sda2 /swap swap
/dev/sda3 /myth ext3

I then initialized the swap and the fs according to here http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html

press <CTRL><ALT><F2>
mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2
mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/sda3

I returned to the gui
<CTRL><ALT><F1>
and loaded the config
/KNOPPIX/knoppmyth-sata

Then I modified the config to set my full name, username, and passwords.

I started the install and everything goes fine. After the install finished I reboot the system.

After it starts booting it gets to a point where it flahes:
mount: No such device or address
<...
lots more of this
...>
/linuxrc: Out of file descriptors
/etc/int: Out of file descriptors
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill int!

at this point it doesnt do anything.
Help?
Thanks.

edit
Im trying to install version R5C7.
Hardware:
MB - Gigabyte GA-K8N51
CPU - AMD3000+
RAM - Kingston PC3200 512MB
HD - WD250G SATA
Video - Onboard GF6100
DVD/RW - Lite-On DL Blah Blah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:44 am 
I am having the same problem......I posted it in the hardware forum...I am using a 3ware 9590SE-8ML raid controller......tring to use 4 250GB drives to get 3/4 of a TB......and when I looking in the wiki at myth.org it says that the drivers for the 3ware card have been built into the kernal since 2.2 or 2.4...... but I am getting the kernal panic also.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject: Any news?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:30 pm 
Just wondering if there might be a fix for this in the works, or if a component of the hardware Im trying should be added to the "do not use" list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:01 pm 
well mine is because the controller needs to have the driver added to the modules folder in initrd so that it can use at boot. I am tring to get this working in a different post with the help of others from here. I has been a very interesting learning experience.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:05 pm 
Only Im not using a raid controller. Just a onboard sata controller. It does have raid capabilties, but they are disabled right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:27 pm 
well some of the newer sata controler drivers act much like a raid controler in that they don't get autodetected properly sometimes.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 am 
I'm having this exact same problem on a new R5C7 install as well after a few reboots. It's not a RAID, or SATA or anything fancy controller, just a standard IDE that worked fine with R5A16->R5B7. This has happened on two installations now of R5C7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:09 pm 
Hi,

This is a typo?
Quote:
mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2
I would think it should be sda2

Also after your install, you need to chroot to /mnt/sda1 and check the /etc/fstab and the lilo.conf to reflect the sda. Any changes to lilo.conf require lilo -v to beactivated.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:24 am 
Ah yes. I did notice the difference when actually running the command and did make that change. I just quoted it from the website exactly when posting it here.

I'm not to sure about the 2nd part there. Could I boot with something like knoppix to make the chagne to lilo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:50 pm 
Hi,

You should be able to boot the install cd, and then select quit. That should dump you to a command line prompt at the bottom.
Once you have the prompt, you should be able to install lilo after checking the lilo config.

You may try something like
# mount -o rw,dev /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
# chroot /mnt/hda1
# nano /etc/lilo.conf (the path will need to be to sda / sda1 so the loader can find the vmlinuz, change number as needed )
# lilo -v (should install it)
It is normal for it to complain about a backup (that is a good sign) and there are a couple of errors during the last stages of install. Nothing to ponder on, just a little messy.

Hope this helps a little.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:12 pm 
I am also having the same problem. I am using a new Acer Aspire E360 (fabulous machine for the price, if I could get Myth to work - super quiet)

It has built-in SATA controller with 4 channels.

It appears that the problem is related to drivers? config?

I did a manual install, had to alter the knoppix-sata file to map my partitions correctly before loading it. If you guys care, here's my partition setup:

/dev/sdb1 = some crazy BIOS diag partition (10 MB)
/dev/sdb2 = / (2.5 GB)
/dev/sdb3 = swap (1.5 GB)
/dev/sdb5 = extended partition for /cache (7 GB)
/dev/sdb6 = extended partition for /myth (rest of drive ~ 230GB)

Everything during the install appeared to be fine, but when I re-booted to do the post-install stuff, I get

<...
lots more of this
...>
/linuxrc: Out of file descriptors
/etc/int: Out of file descriptors
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill int!

It goes too fast for me to see what happens immediately before the mount: No such device or address starts.

I have verified that my /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf are correctly setup. I had to change the fstab, but lilo.conf was fine.

I have only the one SATA drive, and no raid setup. I understand that the SATA controller/driver has some raid features built-in, but I am not using them.

Any ideas or further suggestions would be helpful......please :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:34 pm 
Hi,

There are some good notes posted around on the forum and also on the wiki. Basicly you need to reboot with the cd and get to a prompt. Then you will need to chroot to the sda2 and fix the lilo.conf before running lilo -v to install the proper loading setup. You will also need to tweak the /etc/fstab to reflect the sda instead of hda.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:29 pm 
I agree, there is a fabulous amount of information on the forums and the wiki. I have spent a number of days wading through it.

I had changed my fstab to reflect the correct partitions, but my lilo.conf appears to be correct. It is possible that I am looking at the wrong entries in the lilo.conf file.

I assume that it is correct because of the following entries:

boot=/dev/sdb lilo is installed in the mbr on this drive
root=/dev/sdb2 this is the partition that should be mounted as root

I admit that there are other values in the lilo.conf file that I do not understand well enough to know if they are wrong, but there are no entries that reference hda, sda, etc.

I have just now re-checked my fstab and lilo.conf and re-ran lilo -v. Still to the same results. I have not found a suggestion in the forums or wiki that has provided a solution for me.

I have exhausted my own intellect, and am desperate for ideas and suggestions.

It might be helpful if anyone knows how to force the kernel ring buffer to dump to disk on kernel panic (or write to a log file as it happens), then I could see what is occuring immediately before these messages appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:00 pm 
Does noone have any ideas? Whatever is wrong must be in runlevel 0, since I cannot even enter single-user mode from lilo (exact same thing happens). This leads me to believe it has to do with mounting the root filesystem, but I cannot figure out why!

Are there any other places I should look besides the fstab and lilo.conf files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:43 pm 
Hi archibald,

Don't give up yet, I don't have a solution however was able to obtain your synptoms. Simular issue with the kernal panic. I know basicly why, just not how to fix.

It has to do with a setting in lilo.conf that is some how not causing the pointer to the correct location for vmlinuz.

How I created the problem was do a manual build using a usb external drive. Therefore appeared as /dev/sda Mother board has 4 sata ports which I disabled. Drive will start the boot and when time to load something is when the panic occurs.

Interstingly, I removed the drive from the external housing where it was installed and connected it to the internal sata controller (enabled port0)and all is well.

I was using a Dell GX260 as a test box. Anyway, will post back here if I find anything.

Have a great day!
Mike

Go to page 1, 2  Next