View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:45 am 
I am new to Linux but somwhat less than incompetent around systems and have found it impossible to install Knoppmyth (any version from 5A to 5C7 (the latest) on a SCSI drive - specifically one attached to an Adaptec 2940U2B adaptor. This is an Ultrawide Drive which works perfectly with this adaptor under windoze. Ubuntu and Knoppix have no trouble installing on this drive either. The problem seems to be the aic7xxx_CAUTION.o driver. Even during initial CD boot the first thing the install CD looks for is the scsi driver. It finds the aic7xx_CAUTION.o driver and hangs. Under expert mode it does the same. If I tell the system to use the Buslogic.o driver it installs but on bootup hangs with "mount: No such device or address" and a kernel panic.

Can someone please explain why the aic7xxx driver is marked with a CAUTION designation and how does on really install a SCSI disc with a specific adaptor.

Lon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:33 pm 
It is KnoppMyth. Give me a few days, I may have this resolved. Would you like to test it?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:37 pm 
Aha! Same problem I had with the R5 B & C series - they hated my Adaptec 29160LP card and loaded those CAUTION.o files.

Cheers
Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:25 am 
:D well who said I was competent. What I did not think about was the fact that the IRQ settings for some of my legacy components (lpt1:, Serial etc) were fixed in the BIOS ). In addition, while I am building this frankenstein of a system I added a 1394 card from an Apple machine (PCI) hoping it would recognise it. By setting my bios to work around the IRQs automtically the system was able to boot.

So sorry for bothering anyone here. My problem was relatively simple to fix - but not obvious to find.
You may find this interesting however source code for the adaptec drivers for linux.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloads/ ... rd+39320-R

So Cesman thanks for the rapid response. It was pilot error. However if
someone could explain how the whole knoppmyth system starts up and where it writes logs during startup it would help to diagnose these kinds of problems.

Thanks