View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:54 pm 
I tried installing R5C7 on a system with nothing but SATA drives in it and it never worked. (I did initially have a bad burn of the CD, so I'd welcome reports contradicting this one.)

My solution was the typically recommended one. I put in a PATA drive that now contains the KnoppMyth installation and am using all my SATA drives (4x250GB) in an LVM mounted at /myth for recordings.

I think the Knoppmyth default kernel should compile in nv-sata rather than having it only as a module. LOTS of motherboards have this NVIDIA SATA Controller.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:28 am 
brianwc wrote:
I think the Knoppmyth default kernel should compile in nv-sata rather than having it only as a module.
And this will solve the issue? Details? Links?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject: Compiled in vs. Module
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:25 am 
Well, I asked the Debian list and they say that if you are NOT using an initrd with your kernel, then YES it has to be compiled in. See:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/06/msg00443.html

However, the Knoppmyth default kernel DOES use an initrd, so I think the answer in that case is that it depends on the initrd used... I could ask a follow-up if you like, but I think what explains people's varying success with SATA on these boards (some people seem to never have any trouble and others can never get it to work) is a result of the default Knoppmyth kernel having some SATA drivers built-in, some as modules, and some not at all. If they're all built-in, I think we'll see maximum compatibility across devices. This no-doubt bloats the kernel a bit, but I'm not sure it'd cause any noticeable performance loss.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:26 pm 
You could always compile it in yourself to see if it fixes the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:15 pm 
Thanks for doing some leg work. I have a couple solutions in mind. PM me if you are will to work with me on this...

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:18 pm 
The Knoppix install script is supposed to check for SCSI (which includes SATA) devices and automagically copy those modules into the kernel. Unfortunately it doesn't really work right and KnoppMyth removes it anyway.

I hacked up a solution but it's not really all that clean -- it checks to see which drivers in kernel/drivers/scsi/*sata.ko are loaded at install time, and puts those in initrd. It would be better if the script could tell which driver was being used for the drives, and then put those modules (and their dependencies) in the initrd. I don't know how to do that though.