View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:03 pm 
Don't Panic! :-) The Hitchhiker's Guide to Upgrading to KnoppMyth R5D1

This is a very long post which covers everything from pre through post install issues and fixups. Do not let this frighten you off. It's long because I tried to write it at a "drunken monkey" level of detail, with the intent that you can cut & paste the example commands shown directly from this posting into a shell window on your KnoppMyth box. Please scroll down and look at the bold headings to get a feel for what it covers... If you're looking for something specific (say "XF86Config-4") please use your browsers page search feature.

Also note that this posting is intended to be a supplement to Cecil's freshly updated Pamphlet and change list rather than a replacement. As a result it tends to skip issues they cover, so don't forget to review those before you start upgrading.

Thanks.

OBTW - A note on the color coding used below, red is used for file system objects (files, directories, ...), green is used for sample commands (partial or complete).

Phase 0 - BEFORE you upgrade:

- Make sure you have a good back up using the standard script - /usr/local/bin/mythbackup

- Check that the backup worked!!!
      - Upgrading from R5C7

Use the check_backup.sh script which can be found either in this thread http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10117 or as an attachment on the MythBackupAndRestoreHowTo page on the wiki.

- Upgrading from pre-R5C7
      Code:
      cd /myth/backup
      ls -al
      for i in etc.tar.gz home.tar.gz root.tgz ; do tar ztvf $i ; done

Don't forget to look at the SQL dump file to make sure it's not empty or very small.

- Manually back up all of /etc /root and /home. (The standard backup in R5C7 does this for you already. You only need to do this when upgrading from R5B7 or before) - As root:
      Code:
      cd /
      tar jcvf /myth/backup/savedfiles.tar.bz2 ./etc ./root ./home

If this file exists the new restore script will use it by preference. If it doesn't exist many of the tips provided below won't work. After doing this you can also use the check_backup.sh script described above.
    See this posting http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10117 for more details on backup and restore.

- Make a list of any add ons you've installed or extra configuration you've done while you've still got the old install to refer to.

- Make a note of your current hostname.

Phase 1 - When you boot from the CD:

- Use the testcd option in your boot command. If the validation fails do not continue the upgrade! For example:
    Code:
    tv testcd

- If the installer hangs probing for SCSI devices boot using the "expert" or "noscsi" options. Note that expert needs to be the first thing in the boot command list. For example:
    Code:
    tv noscsi testcd

or:

Code:
    expert tv testcd

- Do not change your hostname during the upgrade! Look at the notes you made before the upgrade and use the same hostname. Changing the hostname will cause a number of annoying problems with various tables in the DB, particularly the settings table, which uses the hostname as one of the keys. Changing the hostname is a project beyond the scope of these hints.

- Do not create a user named mythtv. This is already done automatically.

Phase 2 - After the install from the CD and reboot

Before entering the root password to start the setup dialogs:

NB - To do any of these tasks you'll need to switch to an alternate virtual console using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login as root.

- If you're using LVM with the standard volume group name of "vg" use the recreate_lvm.sh script to restore it. Otherwise you'll need to edit the script to use the "right" volume group name for you system.

- If you have some other nonstandard disk arrangement you may need to correct your /etc/fstab and mount the updated partitions. Especially /myth!

- If X isn't working out of the box, recover your old working XF86Config-4.
    Code:
    cd /
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.orig.R5D1
    tar jxvf /myth/backup/savedfiles.tar.bz2 ./etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    /etc/init.d/gdm restart

- Do any other fixups that you need to complete before the 2nd phase setup dialogs run.

Setup dialogs:
    - Make sure you get the timezone right. This is easy to screw up and will lead to really annoying problems with your program guide at the very least.

- If you already have a working lirc configuration in your (new style) backup, you can reply "q" to the first question in the lirc-reconfig.sh script, which will skip reconfiguration and use your existing lirc files. This preserves any customizations you have done.

- Make a note of the passwords you use.

Phase 3 - post-install setup:

- If you have a PVR card you must drop all of your card definitions and recreate them! See the CompileIvtv page on the wiki for the last four steps to be done after upgrading the ivtv driver for details. This is necessary because R5D1 includes a new version (0.7.0) of the ivtv driver which changes the input names and numbering yet again. If you do not do this, you will see all sorts of bizarre and mysterious errors.

- Redo any add ons or extra configuration that you noted earlier. (Check first to make sure that it hasn't already been added as a new standard feature.) For example:

1) Restoring your NFS setup

Code:
      cd /
      mv /etc/exports /etc/exports.orig.R5D1
      tar jxvf /myth/backup/savedfiles.tar.bz2 ./etc/exports
      /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
      /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
      update-rc.d nfs-common defaults
      update-rc.d nfs-kernel-server defaults

2) Restoring your webmin setup
      Code:
      cd /
      mv /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf.orig.R5D1
      tar jxvf /myth/backup/savedfiles.tar.bz2 ./etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
      /usr/share/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root YOURPASSWORDHERE
      /etc/init.d/webmin start
      update-rc.d webmin defaults

- Be very careful about doing apt-get install to add extra packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list has been updated to point to the stable repository but you still need to use common sense.

1. Don't ever use the -y option.
      2. Always review the list of packages it wants to add or remove.
      3. If in doubt say "no".

Possible issues:

- The ivtv 0.7.0 drivers apparently don't like certain PVR-150 and PVR-250 cards with the TCL M2523_*_E tuner chips. This appears to be a deficiency in the v4l tveeprom.c in the 2.6.17 kernel. Some people have reported success using the module options to force the tuner type. To do this put
    Code:
    options ivtv tuner=50

in /etc/modprobe.conf for the M2523_5N_E, for the M2523_3DB_E use type 55. As of 2006.09.25 the new 0.7.1 version of the ivtv drivers is available which is supoosd to help with this. There are notes on the CompileIvtv page on the wiki for upgrading to use it.

- The mpeg2 -> mpeg2 lossless transcoding does not appear to be working. This seems to be because of some patch on the MythTV 0.19.1 branch (R5D1 uses release-0-19-fixes @ change set 10505). This was fixed in a later SVN (10979), and the fix is still good in MythTV 0.20. Cecil has posted .debs which can be used to upgrade R5D1 to 0.20+fixes.

- Software suspend still has some issues with certain things that don't want to restart. If you use it, keep an eye out for these.

- Some people have reported issues playing streaming video with mplayer. This appears to be because Cecil has taken a more conservative approach on codecs with this release. Search for the various mplayer "how to" postings for fixes.

- Sound issues. Lots of reports but I haven't really been able to pin down a main cause. Some of it is apparently just misconfiguration by users or changes to the default alsa config. There may also be a kernel issue, possibly with the DVB HDTV drivers...

- No TV output after reboot with PVR-350 cards. Success stories are starting to appear. The fix seems to be a combination of upgrading to the 0.7.1 ivtv drivers and diddling the startup order. See the last couple pages in this thread for more details - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11311

Last edited by tjc on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: KUDOS!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm 
I had it up and running very easily with your instructions. Thanks TJC for these, thanks Cecil and Dale and everyone who worked on this build. And whoever did the mythbackup. The backup worked great! I had used the backup.list to backup several files of my own, and sure enough, they all came back! Of course, I put the backup.list file in itself, so that's back too.

Wheeeeee!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:16 pm 
A couple other files that I needed to restore, in case others need them:

./etc/fstab
(Do not blindly replace, but if you have added things like NFS/SMB mounts, copy/paste from the one in your backup)

./etc/asound.conf
(In case you've tweaked yours)

(EDITED by original poster, after TJC pointed out that I was doing dangerous things here!)

Last edited by thornsoft on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: KUDOS!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:42 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
Of course, I put the backup.list file in itself, so that's back too.

Yikes! There's no need to do that, and I would actually recommned against it. I also don't recommend blindly restoring /etc/fstab since it's the type of thing Cecil & Dale may want to do something special to. From my backup & restore write up:
Quote:
- Be careful about what you put in the supplemental backup and restore lists. Both in the size of the lists and their content. For example while restoring ./etc/hosts is probably quite safe, restoring ./etc/fstab is questionable, and ./etc/modules is probably a pretty bad idea. Trying to backup ./myth with these scripts would be amazingly, incredibly, spectacularly bad (because the backup files are written to /myth/backup and it would cause a feedback loop).

Post subject: Re: KUDOS!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:31 pm 
tjc wrote:
Yikes! There's no need to do that, and I would actually recommned against it. I also don't recommend blindly restoring /etc/fstab since it's the type of thing Cecil & Dale may want to do something special to.

Yes, I looked at the fstab before overwriting, to see if there was anything different other than what I'd added myself. So better advice would be to extract the old one from the archives, into a new name and "stare and compare".
But what's the problem with backing up the backup.list file? Would it come back by itself otherwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:34 pm 
The backup.list file never goes away in the first place. It wouldn't be terribly usable if it did. That's why it lives in the same place as the backup files... Think chicken and the egg here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:00 pm 
tjc wrote:
The backup.list file never goes away in the first place. It wouldn't be terribly usable if it did. That's why it lives in the same place as the backup files... Think chicken and the egg here...

Duh, I get it now. This directory is left alone by the install, so the backup.list file is still there from before.
No need to include it in the backup. Unless you're going to start over on a new machine, or end up having to wipe and start again.
I guess I originally included it from a "disaster recovery" perspective, which I realize is not what you wrote this for. I actually back it up along with other important stuff and move offsite every day as part of my "disaster recovery".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 am 
I had 2 issues with the upgrade. My /myth mount never mounted after the upgrade because it was formatted as xfs and /etc/fstab is looking for it to be ext3. After updating, I was able to access the Myth Frontend.

However, after a subsequent reboot, I can no longer get into the Myth Front End. Did something not get restored correctly. I tried to execute from a shell and I just get that it can't access the display.

Any help? Anything I can provide to help diagnose this issue? I do not see any messages in the logs (syslogs, myth logs, etc.).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:52 am 
dmfrey wrote:
However, after a subsequent reboot, I can no longer get into the Myth Front End. Did something not get restored correctly. I tried to execute from a shell and I just get that it can't access the display.

Is X running at all? i.e. do you see the fluxbox desktop? If not, you may have a bad modeline. I had to restore my FX86Config-4 from the tar, as TJC's instuctions said I may need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:01 am 
X is running. It boots up to flutbox but I can't start Myth Frontend. I checked my modelines and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them in the X logs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:11 am 
Run mythfrontend from command line window. You'll be able to see what errors it spits out and give you a better clue as to what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 am 
Let's not turn this into my upgrade didn't work thread.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm 
Sorry about the clutter. I moved my question to the general forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:15 pm 
dmfrey wrote:
issues with the upgrade. My /myth mount never mounted after the upgrade because it was formatted as xfs and /etc/fstab is looking for it to be ext3.

That's supposed to be covered by this phase 2 pre-setup bit from the tips:
Quote:
- If you have some other nonstandard disk arrangement you may need to correct your /etc/fstab and mount the updated partitions. Especially /myth!

Any suggestions on how I can make this clearer so people don't miss it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:42 pm 
tjc wrote:
If you have a PVR card you must drop all of your card definitions and recreate them!

what do you mean by dropping your card definitions? how do you do this?

tjc wrote:
See the CompileIvtv page on the wiki for the last four steps to be done after upgrading the ivtv driver for details

does this mean not to download as it says? do you mean to only do steps 8-11 on the page?
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=CompileIvtv

Go to page 1, 2  Next