View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Install Hangs R5D1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:25 pm 
Hello everyone I hope you guys can help me out. I currently use PCBSD but I have grown tired of swtching hard drives every time I want to use my Sat card (twinhan vp 1020A). I thought I would give Knoppmyth R5D1 a go. I Burned the ISO at work and tesed it there no prolems loading it up and started up like a charm. Got the CD home loaded it up The memtest works great. After I continue to try and install it identifies all the hardware with no trouble. Next the Autoconfguring bar finishes and say's it is done. Here is just stops and does nothing for at least 2 hours ( I powered down manually after that) I Have attempted all the options for loading described in the cd prior to the system hang up. All have the exact same results. (the floppy drive light does come on and remains solid. I also disconnected the floppy drive with the same results though...) would it be the ATI video card?

Here is some of what I have tried booting with. Failsafe, knoppmyth testcd, knoppmyth noscisi nopcmica nousb nofirewire nomce noddc noswap noapic noapm nodma noagp noideraid, knoppmyth 2 knoppmyth ok I tried everthing listed on the cd and then some.

My computer is
intel 3 gigw/HT
1 gig ram
intel chipst
asus p4p800 MB
20gig samsung sv2044d hd(for now will ditch 80 gig windows if this works also tried boot with this drive with same results)
LG dvd R/W
ATI 9600 pro 128mb agp (Radeon R96P1128de Gigabyte Technology co., inc)
Twinhan vp-1020a
NO ONBOARD VIDEO

The instalation mannual is great. But After searching there and here on the Board I am still at a loss for what might be the problem.
If I missed a topic somewhere that answers or at least gives me something else to try please let me know as I have yet to encounter the same problem.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Mistleplex

Last edited by mistleplex on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:40 pm 
My system ran fine on R5D1 until a couple weeks ago. Then I started getting a BUNCH of random lockups never ran for even 24 hours without a lockup.
Now I'm trying to boot it up to do a clean install and it gets just a bit further than yours did until is says "Setting default volumes" or something. It just sits after that.

This is really pissing me off because it worked fine before, and now I can't even do a reinstall. :x :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:58 pm 
I feel your pain. I ran across some soundcard commands. Not sure if they would help. I have had very limmited expreiance with Knoppix so Im not sure if it will help or not but with my VERY limited exposure to Knoppix (guess it would depend ifyour sound card is PCI and which one or onboard) you could also try booting with nosound. It may at least let you know what portion is having a problem loading. Would suck not to have sound but least you would know where to start.

nosound

alsa
Autoconfigure alsa for an pci-soundcard

alsa=es1938
Configure alsa for the snd-es1938.o-module pci-soundcard
:?
I have almost runout of things to try. Ive tried every cheatcode listed http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes and even a few Ive found other places. Yet it never goes any further than the autoconfiguring done. I am almost certian its my video card but Id really like to know for sure before I run out and spend money on somthing and its not the problem. Im sure mines a hardware issue due to the fact the same cd works on my computer at work but not at home. I think it may be xsession trying to start but im not sure because I get no error messages.

I think I am going to try the R5C1 version see if that is any different. if that dosn't work I guess ill set up my system to run windows and PCBSD without changing the ide cable each time I want to watch tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:06 am 
Couldn't you just set up dual boot without changing an IDE cable?

I was finally able to get through a reinstall by taking out my HDTV Wonder card. i suspected IRQ probs all along, but didn't have any log proof to back it up. The documentation on my motherboard is scarce too so that doesn't help me figure out what's conflicting with what slot. I think I'm going to have to put my HDTV card in my linux desktop and make it a slave backend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:12 am 
Yeah I can do that just really wanted to ditch XP completely this looked like a really good candidate for that.

Glad you got it working. I have tried yanking cards out of mine but no change in operation. So for now I will sit and scratch my....head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:16 am 
Having the same issue when using a pdHDTV 5500 card. There is some problem with the sound. You can remove your HD TV Wonder Card, do the install. reboot and let it configure the sound, cards etc. There seem to be an alsa issue.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

When you have everything working shut it down and then reinstall your TV Wonder Card, drop all the capture cards and configure all of them and it should work.

You will then most like get an error when when trying to shutdown. The shutdown will hang and you have to kill an alsa process to get it to it to shutdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:24 am 
Yeah, that was my idea too, but I also wouldn't mind offloading some of the processing as it is sort of difficult to watch another show while the HD is being recorded. If it proves difficult to do the slave backend setup on ubuntu then I'll try popping it back in.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:35 pm 
I have discovered my problem. Unfortuanely it is counter productive. I can install and run Knoppmyth. The downside is to get the programn to install I had to remove my DVB-s twinhan 1020a. Now I am off to figure out how to possibly manually install it. Even though it is already their.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:23 pm 
Put it back in after you have a running system. When it reboots it should detect the new hardware and kick you into mythtv-setup to configure it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:20 pm 
To update everyone. I tried everything I coudl think of . Even R5C7 would lock up on me AFTER installing and running. It woudl let me install without problems. I ended up just using a different computer. R5D1 did the same lock up on install for me as on the other machine. I then used R5C7 on the new machine and it installed booted, and has been running great since. I've found my motherboard, cheap as it was, to be crap. Lucky for me I had something just as good or better to put in it's place. Was a nightmare getting this to work, and I just pray it continues to. Oh, and even the most stressful test I could do worked off the bat. All three 150's and my HDTV wonder recording at the same time, and no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:21 am 
darkunderlord wrote:
My system ran fine on R5D1 until a couple weeks ago. Then I started getting a BUNCH of random lockups never ran for even 24 hours without a lockup.
Now I'm trying to boot it up to do a clean install and it gets just a bit further than yours did until is says "Setting default volumes" or something. It just sits after that.

This is really pissing me off because it worked fine before, and now I can't even do a reinstall. :x :(

I've got the same problem. It stops while copying the files half of the times, but works the other ones. I suppose there is a hardware problem I can't figure out (some IRQ/DMA or ACPI problem I suppose).
Now the worse is that it doesn't get my root password (the same I entered at setup), so no way to run myth...
However, I had your problem on several Windows machines (worked fine and started lockups). There were always 2 reasons. First was a card especially graphics that may have disconnected one pin : you should open your computer and check(push) all your connections and check for the fans and how well the coolers are mounted. The second reason would be a dying power box.