View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 am 
1080p? Did you just buy this thing or are you overshooting the mark?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 am 
nharris wrote:
Good to know... you might want to just add what you said above to the site.

I would, but it's not official yet. Due to various dependencies, my plan isn't set in stone. I may end up skiping 1.2 for now and just do 2.0.
nharris wrote:
Gotcha. I still want a small box for the bedroom. Something like the Mac mini would be nice (~$500-600 with HD output). I routinely wonder if anyone has installed KnoppMyth or similar on a Mac mini with success, but I can't find any results with Google. Maybe a Via Eden or such would get the job done. Also, all I would need is a DVD-ROM drive on the client.

So you'd just boot the frontend from the CD? Also, note that the mini doesn't seem to be powerful enough for 1080i and struggles with 720p:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/02/28/th ... -for-hdtv/

Quote:
"The Mac mini and the G4 PB plays 720p content smoothly although
sometimes you can see some jitter in fast moving scenes on the mini.
Both systems can't play 1080i smoothly enough to be watchable.
CPU load on both systems is around 90% during 720p playback,
almost 100% during 1080i playback."

Quote:
Thanks for the great info on your direction. I am especially glad to hear that you will have more ordering options in the future. I will continue waiting for a while and see what happens.

No problem! I love answering Dragon questions :)
Quote:
One question... why not SATA for the hard drive? I thought Linux support was mature now.

Linux in general is, yes, but the current codebase for KnoppMyth can't do auto installs on SATA. This is yet another reason why Cecil chose to jump to Ubuntu as the framework for KnoppMyth R6 - we'd get stuff like this for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:57 am 
afrosheen wrote:
1080p? Did you just buy this thing or are you overshooting the mark?

I'm looking at the Sony Bravia or the Sharp Aquos line. Both are 1080p native LCD HDTVs. I'm just waiting on the price drop around or after Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:07 am 
Human wrote:
So you'd just boot the frontend from the CD? Also, note that the mini doesn't seem to be powerful enough for 1080i and struggles with 720p:

That article is a little old. The Mac mini now has Core Duo at a higher clock. You do have a good point... I'll try booting from the KnoppMyth CD on my iMac with Core Duo and see how it does for a frontend. Assuming of course that it will boot successfully.

Human wrote:
Linux in general is, yes, but the current codebase for KnoppMyth can't do auto installs on SATA. This is yet another reason why Cecil chose to jump to Ubuntu as the framework for KnoppMyth R6 - we'd get stuff like this for free.

I'll be glad to see the Ubuntu release. I'm not a Debian fan... except maybe in principal. Ubuntu has finally made Debian usable IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:11 am 
I just thought of a problem. Does anyone know where I can get the KnoppMyth CD modified with 0.20-fixes packages? I need this to try booting my iMac with the frontend (since my test backend is 0.20-fixes to support the HDHomeRun).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:36 am 
Nharris: I'm pretty sure a release with the updates will be available very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm 
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a 1080p lcd monitor instead. As much as I love my 720p Aquos, I'd rather have something with no overscan to compensate for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:23 pm 
afrosheen wrote:
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a 1080p lcd monitor instead. As much as I love my 720p Aquos, I'd rather have something with no overscan to compensate for.

Any recomendations? I'm looking for something large... 50" or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 pm 
afrosheen wrote:
Nharris: I'm pretty sure a release with the updates will be available very soon.

Really? What do you base that on? Looking at the change log, the release schedule of KnoppMyth is not always so fast. I'm hopeful though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:49 pm 
nharris: regarding the latest knoppmyth release, call it a hunch. About recommendations for a 1080p monitor, there are a few available, but 50" is kinda pushing it into the stratosphere pricewise. However you seem ready to throw down some serious money on this project, so here's what I've found so far.

Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 is a 50" plasma. Personally I don't like plasmas because the older ones are all 1024x768 native and they generate alot of heat. However this one is many times better with a tighter dot pitch and 1080p native resolution. Only drawback is price at about $7000 (higher or lower depending). The really cool thing about this model is that despite only having 2 hdmi connectors, it has a dot by dot mode so when you connect it to a pc, zero overscan. You get a 1:1 mapping (which is wonderful). Also has anti-glare coating which is my biggest gripe with most plasmas. Any cheapo monoprice.com cable that will handle DVI-HDMI will probably be best, assuming the Mac Mini is DVI.

Sony's 52" Bravia (KDL52XBR2) is 1080p, a little more expensive, and also claims to support a PC input (15 pin) so you may have a 1:1 pixel mapping mode available. It'd be stupid IMHO for them to have a VGA port on a screen this size but VGA has 15 pins. Again, you can always try DVI-HDMI for digital, but unless the TV really supports a pc mode on any port, you may have overscan. That's the only thing that concerns me about this set. Sony seems to be the king of the LCD world and I would have gotten one but my outgoing model Sharp was half as expensive.

I had shopped for smaller LCD monitors previously for a client, but it looks like all the panels are going into TVs instead of computer monitors at this time. I guess there are no true 'monitors' in 50" yet. So...go with the Sony with a little trepidation or the Pioneer without worry. It wouldn't hurt to call around and find out what a PC input means on each one of those sets. Personally I wouldn't trust analog VGA to look as good as DVI on screens this large.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:11 am 
afrosheen: Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the Sony and Sharp LCDs. They are around $3k-$4k right now. I'm not interested in a plasma. My hope is that prices will go down around or after Christmas time. You are right... the trick is to actually try one of these out with a computer via DVI->HDMI and see what happens. I am thinking of taking a laptop with KnoppMyth and some HD recording and heading down to Circuit City or such.

How bad is your Sharp overscan? It may not be a problem to loose a few rows/lines. Some of my OTA HD locals have a little garbage in the first few lines anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 am 
Hi, everyone. This seems to have gotten way off topic. Do you think you could continue this part of the discussion in another thread? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 am 
Yeah I was concerned about that...oh...2 pages back. Let's pack it up and move this to the DTV forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:02 pm 
Sorry about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:32 am 
Back on topic (sort of), here is my Dragon 2.0 want list:

Backend+frontend machine, target price ~$1,000:
    Case similar to current Dragon
    Core2Duo, 500GB, MCE Remote, DVD+/-RW
    Motherboard graphics with DVI/HDMI (XvMC not required)
    Multichannel and optical audio output
    More flexible capture card configuration options
Frontend only machine, target price ~$500:
    Small case (no PCI cards)
    Core2Duo, Small hard drive or flash drive, MCE remote
    Motherboard graphics with DVI/HDMI (XvMC not required)
    SVideo output would also be nice (for flexibility)
    Multichannel and optical audio output
    Normal size (not laptop) tray/slot loading DVD-ROM drive

A wish would be HDMI output with audio support (currently only one motherboard I know of does this). Personally, I need 1 of each right now with another frontend to follow. But, I'm waiting until KnoppMyth releases with 0.20-fixes. Hopefully, Core2Duo will become cheaper and more motherboards with HDMI will appear.

What are your future Dragon plans?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next