View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 am 
I currently have R5A16 which uses a 15 Gbyte /cache partiion for the ring buffer. I would like to upgrade to the latest R5D1 which no longer uses the extra ring buffer partition.

My plan would be recover that extra space and move it to the /myth partition so that I can make use of it for recording. How does this approach look:

1. Run backup script to backup the database, etc.
2. Boot to Knoppix and run QParted to delete the existing /cache partition, and then merge the space into the /myth partition.
3. Boot to R5D1 Knoppmyth and do an Auto Upgrade (I assume that this re-formats the system partition, is that correct?)
4. Restore the backup

Would this work? Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:32 pm 
Hi,

As an alternitive option, download ubuntu live and use it to format the 15 gig space and use it for music & the gallery. They are small files compared to mpg files and have a tendency to sneak up on the inode supply.

Could even make it a dual boot, but to add it to the actual /myth partition means you would have to delete both and start over to make it one. I don't know of any other way to merge the two gracefully.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:45 pm 
mjl wrote:
I don't know of any other way to merge the two gracefully.

I thought that Qparted or at least Gparted live CD he was talking about can resize ext3 partitions. If this is the case the upgrade plan sounds pretty reasosnable and workable to me. I just did a R5A30.2 upgrade to R5D1 and the upgrade left the /cache partition intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:22 pm 
Hi,
I have have used the Gparted live cd, pretty cool tool :) The ubuntu live 6.06 cd offers the same tool. The resizing works for shrinking a partition really well as I have done it several times to squeeze M$ into it's own corner so that I could add a real os and then dual boot if needed.

If you resize a partition to be larger, the extra space would not be formated for linux and I don't know how to format just the new added section. If you expand a M$ partion, I believe that on the reboot it discovers the extra space and does treat it be useable. I am not exactly sure how that works but it did for XP.

Unless you auto install, all partitions remain intack excepting hda1. auto install cleans the barn!

Mike