View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
A great deal of work was done on R5E50, I'd appreciate a better post. If something worked in an earlier release but not in R5E50 then post details. What worked then and what isn't working now. NOTE: INSTALLATION RELATED. Posting hardware details and anything you've done to try and resolve the issue would also help. Things won't get fixed if I don't have greater details.

BTW: To say that R5E50 doesn't work is crap. R5Exy worked flawlessly on LinHES for two weeks before it's release. That is two weeks straight with only a few reboots to test minor changes. Any issues the testers reported we worked to resolve before releasing.

Last edited by cecil on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:56 pm 
spynotebook wrote:
I just went back to R5D1.

No OSD and no remote was a bit of a pain and I just didn't feel like figuring it out right now.

Of course, my remote has now stopped working in R5D1 so there must be something else going on.

Did you check to make sure that the OSD theme was loaded? At first it looked like it wasn't working but changing to Isthmus made it work all right.
cecil wrote:
A great deal of work was done on R5E50, I'd appreciate a better post. If something worked in an earlier release but not in R5E50 then post details. What worked then and what isn't working now. NOTE: INSTALLATION RELATED. Posting hardware details and anything you've done to try and resolve the issue would also help. Things won't get fixed if I don't have greater details.

BTW: To say that R5E50 doesn't work is crap. R5Exy worked flawlessly on LinHES for two weeks before it's release. That is two weeks straight with only a few reboots to test minor changes.

Also, cecil, if I sounded like I was being too negative, I apologize. I realize the effort that went in to the release was pretty extensive. I'm not really sure what made the difference between R5D1 and R5E50 but my remote Hauppauge A415-HPG was not recognized (didn't get the exact error message during config) and since the kernel source wasn't present, I was unable to install the only drivers that have ever worked properly with my card (1.0-7174). I'll probably get around to trying it in a while, but I hope I can resolve these issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:47 pm 
Tried to upgrade from R5D1 to R5E50..

Remote Hauppauge Silver (A415-HPG) is non-responsive. Even though it 'seemed' to configure just fine. I have an infrared keyboard and things seem to work (interface, tuner, etc).

On the first reboot, I was given a message about the tuner being used to record 'something' and was unavailable. I double-checked and verified that nothing was scheduled.. (this issue did not go away until after I did a fresh install)

Intermittently unable to connect to the database.. Got message about being sure it was running.. As far as I can tell it is configured the same way as it had been in R5D1. (The front end and the database are on the same box)

Then tried a 'fresh' install with the same results...(minus the busy tuner) In R5D1 I had no issues whatsoever I am away from the box and at work at the moment.. But am willing to post or send any logs/info, etc you would like either this evening or by the end of the day tomorrow..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm 
Please see the R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards posting for some suggestions. So much has changed in R5E50, that there inevitably going to be some behavior changes which catch people unprepared. For example the LIRC restore procedure in that thread should fix your remote control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 pm 
Worked for me!! Best install so far.
And the playback is nice and smooth now, using Human's suggestion of OneField + Libmpeg2, no OpenGL Sync. TJC's tips page from R5D1 helped guide me with the LVM, and I see now that he's updated it.

A couple of minor issues came up, which are addressed elsewhere:

My streamzap didn't work, but did after I ran lirc-reconfig.sh and then set to the device to /dev/lirc0 in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
I swear, I didn't see it ask me what remote I had when I ran the installer!!

No sound in MythMusic until I restored my original /etc/asound.conf
I've got a near-dragon (same mobo and chaintech 710), and the stock dragon file doesn't work for me. I needed some additional settings in this file.

I hand-edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as expected. I was unable to see anything on my TV, so I ran the setup from a computer monitor.

Outstanding issue: My TV doesn't like whatever mode it goes into while booting. After the memory count, it goes blank until X starts. If I try to access a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1..F6), it also goes blank. But it flickers to what appears to be a windowed terminal? While doing the setup with a PC monitor, I recalled seeing some sort of GUI wrap-around on a console. Whatever that thing is, it's got to go. At least for me.

DVD Playback:
There is no "examples" directory beneath /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3
What to do here? I'll wait a few days and search for "pineapple" again.

Impressions: HD Playback is nice and smooth, internal video player works nicely. I played with the Democracy player, it seemed to work. It all seems very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:52 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
Outstanding issue: My TV doesn't like whatever mode it goes into while booting. After the memory count, it goes blank until X starts. If I try to access a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1..F6), it also goes blank. But it flickers to what appears to be a windowed terminal? While doing the setup with a PC monitor, I recalled seeing some sort of GUI wrap-around on a console. Whatever that thing is, it's got to go. At least for me.

Try editing /etc/lilo.conf and change the vga=something to vga=normal. Then run lilo and reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:02 pm 
thornsoft wrote:
I swear, I didn't see it ask me what remote I had when I ran the installer!!

Possibly because it identified your machine as a Dragon...

thornsoft wrote:
No sound in MythMusic until I restored my original /etc/asound.conf I've got a near-dragon (same mobo and chaintech 710), and the stock dragon file doesn't work for me. I needed some additional settings in this file.

PM me what you had to do and I'll update the hints accordingly.

thornsoft wrote:

Did you use the "tv" option? Does your /etc/lilo.conf say "vga=normal" at the beginning as Greg mentions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:39 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
Try editing /etc/lilo.conf and change the vga=something to vga=normal. Then run lilo and reboot.

Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... You are the MAN!
This definitely fixes my VGA / "VGA during bootup" problem.
Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:48 pm 
tjc wrote:
Did you use the "tv" option?

No, because I didn't see ANYTHING past the memcheck when booting from the CD. So I had to put it on my old VGA monitor. At that point, it wasn't a TV. It wasn't clear that I should pick the TV option at that point, as it wasn't a TV first of all, and I knew I'd be hand-editing my xorg.conf anyway, and the option didn't say "VGA monitor for now, TV later". :wink:

As for my sound file, here's what I'm using:
Quote:
http://www.thornsoft.com/temp/mythtv/asound.conf.txt

I'm probably doing something non-dragonish with my setup. So I wouldn't consider this a mainstream dragon fix by any means, but if someone had that Chaintech card and didn't get sound on Music or Xine, this may help. I think Human looked at it once, and determined that the extra stuff shouldn't be necessary. So, YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:04 pm 
thornsoft - I was actually asking for corrections on what I guessed for http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=76873 Under the section, "Phase 3 - post-install setup", item # 2.4 "Restoring your customized sound card settings."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
tjc wrote:
thornsoft - I was actually asking for corrections on what I guessed for http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=76873 Under the section, "Phase 3 - post-install setup", item # 2.4 "Restoring your customized sound card settings."

What you have now is probably best. I didn't restore mine, thinking "hey, maybe it'll just work this time". What I ended up doing, was restoring from the backup. And that worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:40 am 
Just wanted to mention I just did and auto upgrade from R5C7 to this version without issues. I also added another 150 at the same time. Was a painless upgrade. Thanks for all the hard work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:22 am 
I too am "missing" the libdvdread3 examples. I read the changelog.Debian and it looks like they removed it a few versions ago.

It looks like they want us to go directly to

http://www.debian-unofficial.org

I'm running

some apt commands to see if i can get

(part of me thinks I shouldn't be doing this and will muck up my knoppmyth)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin
jmairs wrote:
(part of me thinks I shouldn't be doing this and will muck up my knoppmyth)
It should not. Getting one or two or three or 20 packages shouldn't not. However, I would not upgrade or dist-upgrade...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2