View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:37 pm 
Stay AWAY from the CompUSA IDE RAID controller (ITE8212F-based)!

It has caused me nothing but grief on all KnoppMyth kernels up to the latest one (2.6.17). I almost lost all of my recordings because the DMA glitch overwrote my partition table (I have no idea how that happened!).

This is a nasty card. It will work for a while, then suddenly stop working and not work for the next 3 to 7 restarts. :evil: Meanwhile, you're wondering "Did my drive finally fail? Did I lose the 300 recordings I had on that drive?"!

I have had the same result with two of the same cards. Maybe the F in ITE8212F stands for Failure, I don't know :D

This thing is forcing me to move away from KnoppMyth on my backend even though I do not want to. I will try SuSE, sometimes they have better hardware support for stupid hardware like the ITE8212. I will definitely keep KnoppMyth for my frontends, though! And I can't just move to another controller card; I have 800Gb of recordings that I simply don't have enough space to move anywhere else! :roll:

Anyway, just my $0.02...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:25 pm 
Not to pour salt on your wounds, but this is why you should use Linux SW RAID coupled with LVM instead of a HW (or even fake HW) controller. It's completely device-independent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:18 am 
So I realize...too late :D

Actually, all of the problems I was having were the result of a nasty interaction between the cheap ITE8212F card and my expensive PowerEdge 2450 server. When I moved to a small desktop as my MythTV backend server, the problems with the ITE card seemed to vanish. Only time will tell now... :roll: