View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 am 
I have installed R5D1 and R5E50 now: both have the same (mis)feature that no install-time dialog box asks what keyboard you're using. When Knoppmyth is finally up and running it is obvious that the US 101 key keyboard had been assumed.

It would be nice to be asked for this at install time. Maybe even it would be possible to make a good default guess at a user's keyboard based on how the question about timezones was answered?

I selected Europe/London as my timezone, it would be logical to default my keyboard to "GB, 105 key" based on that, but to let the user over-ride if that's not the case. Someone selecting Europe/Brussels as a timezone for instance might be most likely using a French or German keyboard, but at least if you default to one of those two, a significant percentage of people wouldn't then have to over-ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:06 am 
Did you use the manual install?

For normal usage, try modifying (as root) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and look for the Section "InputDevice":
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
        Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

EndSection
This doesn't affect the virtual consoles but should set any shell seesions opened from the desktop.

You should be able to reset the console keymap by using install-keymap:
Code:
install-keymap /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.kmap.gz

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am 
I had same problem and fixed it with this:

mythtv@mythtv:~$ setxkbmap gb

Post subject: Thanks Bruce
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:26 am 
....for the info on how to set the console keymap. I'd done the X server easily enough but the console had eluded me.

However - I know that things like this can be fixed up afterwards, I was just under the impression that the gods of Knoppmyth (!) might consider this sort of silly glitch worth fixing in the install scripts for R6A0 or R5F63 or whatever comes next, that's all.

If they're US based, this is exactly the sort of thing they'd not have noticed for themselves.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Thanks Bruce
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Steve Hosgood wrote:
If they're US based, this is exactly the sort of thing they'd not have noticed for themselves.
We are and we have not. this probably won't see the light of day in the R5 series. That is unless someone contributes some code...

Post subject: Surprised
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am 
Hi Cecil.
California, huh? Yup - I'll guess that's a likely place to be using a US keyboard!

Funny thing is that I'd have expected Knoppmyth to inherit early keyboard selection options as a side effect of basing it on Debian. I'm a Fedora Core person myself, so I've never installed Debian, but Fedora Core asks you about keyboards really early - and it does appear that Knoppmyth inherits Debian's early probe that you enter your timezone.....

I'm not asking you to bust a gut on it, just a bit surprised that the keyboard probe didn't just appear for free with the rest of the install scripts.

Or did you actually write the Knoppmyth install scripts from scratch and not use Debian's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:00 am 
Site Admin
No Debian installation scripts are in use. The installation scripts were written by Dale and heavyly inspired by the Knoppix installation script. One should be able to use a cheatcode when installing to set the keyboard.