View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am 
cesman wrote:
There is nothing wrong w/ the PVR 350. Folks things that because it offers TV out, it is a video card and it isn't. If you plan to output anything other than MPEG-2, don't expect peak performance.

And if you do want MPEG-4 accelerated playback, look into the VIA mini-ITX boards. Some of them have MPEG-4 decoders on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:11 pm 
Well, I wouldn't agree that there's nothing wrong with the PVR-350, but I didn't say that it was completely defective or that it doesn't do what it was designed to do. It's a question of the right hardware for the job.

If the job is a basic Tivo replacement then the PVR-350 is adequate. If you're goal is something else (as mine is, my Tivo works fine) then the PVR-350 may be a poor choice.

It's also important to distinguish between opinion and fact. To the best of my knowlege, fast forward and rewind using Mythtv and PVR-350 video out are broken. That's fact. Saying that 30 second skip is better than fast forward is opinion.

Now, it's a perfectly valid opinion. Also, red cars are better than blue cars. Still, a blue car that veers off the road every time you turn on the headlights is broken. Even though only a moron would buy a blue car and even though all the smart people drive red cars, a blue car that veers off the road when you turn on the headlights is broken.

Having bought a PVR-350 for my attempt at creating a TV/DVD archive box I can confidently state was a mistake. The money would have been better spent on bigger hard drives for my Tivo. I'm now trying to decide what new hardware I should buy for my next attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:25 pm 
Here are the latest instructions on getting ATI cards to work with TV Out.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11896

It's also in the Wiki now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:00 am 
>>Hardware Not Working>>SATA>>Gigabyte I-RAM

On continuing on the not.working.hardware thread, and specifically SATA, I bought a Gigabyte I-RAM for an ASUS A8N-VM CSM motherboard. The chipset on the ASUS motherboard is mostly now supported (R5D1) which now means the mobo I bought 6 months ago may be able to be used soon ! .. woo hoo !

I bought the Gigabyte I-RAM (memory attached to the SATA port) with the aim to use this on a myth frontend, and a silent one at that.. but have found that half of the linux distros (including knoppix/knoppmyth it seems) find a fault with the hardware during diags at startup as per the following thread..

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6163

I'm hoping that the recommendations at the start can possibly be included in the Knoppmyth releases (As I have no idea how to modify it myself) in order that I can use the I-RAM! ...

Until then .. don't expect the Gigabyte I-RAM to work with the majority of linux relases and currently Knoppmyth.

EDIT: Saved with BBCODE enabled

Arrikhan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:42 pm 
Hey, tjc, should this post be updated now that Cecil has included SATA support in the automatic install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:19 pm 
Yeah, probably. I actually looked at and thought about this the other day, and decided I didn't have the energy for all the research needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 pm 
From what I understand, the HDD specified in the KRP Dragon 2.0 specification is SATA. The Western Digital WD320YS was selected because of its quiet and cool operation.

Using a different model would stray from the spec. However, other drives may be just as quiet and cool, future revisions of the standard should extend to those drives.

A Dragon user who works in a computer parts warehouse could swap out one component at a time, and determine in a scientific manner, what range of components conform. :-)

Seriously though, this standardised Linux platform is a great initiative. With all these different hardware setups and distros flying around, you could research and configure your own system until it ran smoothly... and expend all that effort to benefit only a single person: Yourself.

With KRP, everbody benefits.

(As you can tell, I'm very enthuastic!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:11 pm 
Updated to lower the warning level for SATA boot drives and ATI video cards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:01 am 
Hi tjc,

Really ... ??? on my KnoppMythTV Box *g* ...

ATI ... makes problems while auto-install ... bootup only PAL TV connected :-( ... tried several things vga=xxx ... screen=xxx ... depth ... vsync=50 ...

SATA ... problems on initial boot with no or only partitial lilo install (maybe somethings with vga parameter inserted into append line !

maybe I'm doing some more tests if weather not fine for outdoor :-)

Martin

* ATI x300PCIe
* HD 200 GB SATA / DVD DL(RW)
- DVB-C / Hauppage PVR-500 (2x analog)
- ATI RemoteWonder, CHERRY /wl keyboard/mouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:20 pm 
Martin1802 wrote:
KnoppMyth R5C7

Martin,
Is your signature up to date? TJC was referring to R5F1 which was three versions after R5C7.

Update: Sorry I just noticed that you put R5F27/R5F62 in the subject of the post. I didn't notice it there as it so rarely used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:43 pm 
Hi turpie,

sorry my sig shows my old system ... I just got some newer hardware from an other system together with some things from old system in signature ... I will update sig end of week ...

my profile shows germany (now konstanz) too ...

yes I refer to F27 and F62 ... using fglrx 2.36.xx on ATI x300 PCIe Card ... working with known problem on showing only top half size of video only :-( ... using overlay Xv ... I will try some things on weekend, if time

Good luck
Martin

* ATI x300PCIe
* HD 200 GB SATA / DVD DL(RW)
- DVB-C / Hauppage PVR-500 (2x analog)
- ATI RemoteWonder, CHERRY /wl keyboard/mouse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:14 pm 
I am not sure that I understanding TJC posting above: does it imply that SATA drives are now supported?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:38 pm 
gatorback, I used a SATA hard drive with a fresh R5F27 install and have had 0 problems with it. I can't speak for SATA optical drives though, I know they were lagging compatibility with linux when compared to hard drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:47 am 
Dragon 2.0 now uses SATA drives for HDD and optical. No problems or workarounds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:00 am 
Hi,

At this time, and for some time to come, it looks like XvMC on the VIA CX700* chip set is not supported by Openchrome. This includes MPEG2 and MPEG4 acceleration that shows so much promise.

This is really disappointing because there are quite a few boards that have HDMI and DVI integrated, but I can't seem to find any way to get it working on my Jetway VIA C7 2.0G J7F5M2G-VHE.

Apparently there is a very poor driver from VIA, but there are quite a few features that are not supported.

Avoid the disappointment, at least in the near-term, and stick with something that it known to be supported if you're looking for a HD frontend.

Cheers
Victor

FE2: Zotac MAG

Go to page Previous  1, 2