View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:29 am 
Hi, i just upgraded from one of the first R5 installations to R5E50, and now my system wont boot. I suspect lilo didnt get installed, sins the cd finds the hd ok and cd boot is fine. Anyone know what i can type at the cd lilo prompt to boot from hda1?

reguards Espen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:00 pm 
See the troubleshooting pages on the wiki. Especially: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WillNotBootAfterInstall

Or search here in the forums http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/search.php for (require all terms) "mount chroot lilo".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:19 pm 
i just a) joined the board, and b) installed mythtv r5d7 and r5e50 on 3 different boxes (just to be familiar with the installation process.

on two of these boxes both versions installed flawlessly, but on the third, neither would boot after install. in both cases, the lilo install was botched, with an additional line near the top of the lilo.conf file in /etc

the line was part: hdd1 type: 7. this line causes lilo to fail out of the install run which occurs at the end of the installation process. what i had to do on both versions was to let the install finish, and before pressing return to reboot, switch to another virtual console, delete the line in lilo.conf, which at that point resided in /mnt/hdinstall/etc and re run

lilo -r /mnt/hdinstall

and THEN reboot. that fixed it. i believe that this is a problem with machines that have more than one physical hd in them, and that the second hd is not a linux filesystem. one of the automatic editing scripts is probably not expecting an extra entry in the table it's extracting from one of the system informational facilities and is erroneously inserting it into the lilo.conf file.

two things would fix this: either the editing script should be rewritten or the installer (Knoppmyth-auto) should check for a non-zero return code from lilo.

hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:24 pm 
ye, i foud that that line was produced due to my usb external hard drive was conected to the box.